PDA

View Full Version : php or cgi ??

powerchaos
08-19-2008, 04:46 PM
ok guys , what do you preferer to take ?

php or cgi ??

i preferer to take php as a website becouse it loads faster then cgi

but the downsize of it is the upload limit you got on the most hosts ( 2mb or a little more)

now the thing i like on cgi is that you cant limit it

i got now a 2 mb upload limit and a 8 mp post limit on my 'good' host ( it cames from 60 ... ) so i was foced to search a other way to upload my mp3 files ( and you to , otherwhise i need to fill all those space alone )

so i was searching and i founded a CGI script to upload

now the funny part :)

even whit the upload limit (post_max_size) of 8 mb dit it even works to upload a 38MB mp3 FILE o.O

so far i know ( i think , not sure :S ) is that php store the file as 1 file when uploading ( instand max size , keep it in the mem and then post it )

cgi works the other way , it upload it in cerperated peaces ( use more cpu) and then it past the peaces back to 1 big file so there can be a upload limit on becouse it uploads only 256 kb per peace

thats how i think it works and why it is slower :S

so , if some1 is intresting in sharing the mp3 files then you know where to go ( siggy :) )

let me know what you like of the difference betwean the 2 files and what you preferer to use :)

Greets From The Crasher

lupus6x9
08-19-2008, 07:07 PM
I prefer PHP, but I never upload large files. And I don't find it necessary to cheat my Web host. ;)

Ajof
08-20-2008, 11:19 AM
aye and cgi is just odd, not as easy to work with and much less of a standard that php is today. Everyone uses it!

lupus6x9
08-20-2008, 06:34 PM
Haha, CGI will never be nearly as difficult as ASP (or .NET)! I really gave it an honest effort before giving up, simply because (strangely) that's where the money is.

The good thing about CGI is that it's easy to learn if you've already learned C or BASIC.

powerchaos
08-21-2008, 05:27 AM
I prefer PHP, but I never upload large files. And I don't find it necessary to cheat my Web host. ;)

hehe , i got my reasons why i do it for this host only

they try to break me down whit putting the upload to 2 mb , so the only good thing they got left , is deleted

so i still want to use that host for the money i paid for it :)

Greets From The Crasher

lasvegas
08-28-2008, 02:39 AM
I prefer PHP and I use PHP only.

brisschris
11-18-2009, 04:22 AM
Hello,

I am fdrominjacks.This is my first visit to site.I am new to this site,but I’ve enjoyed posting in your forums.PHP seems very much in vogue now - with an increasingly greater number of web hosts providing support for it. For those who have only vaguely heard of it and are not too sure what it is, this article discusses PHP and informally compares it with writing CGI scripts in Perl.

PHP is a free server side scripting language. It can be built into web servers like Apache and you can use it to generate your pages dynamically. You would probably use it in situations you would have otherwise used a CGI script for.Interestingly,if you're debugging your scripts online, PHP really shines.Normally, when a Perl CGI script goes awry, you'll get a cryptic error message in your browser. something to the effect of "500 Internal Server Error".

When your PHP scripts online, you get error messages pinpointing the offending lines in your code to help you locate the error. However, the message is sometimes a cryptic "parse error" or the like,so you still have to crack your head to figure out the problem. But at least you know where it occurred.With Perl CGI scripts, an "Internal Server Error" could have arisen from any number of causes, from a syntax error to a simple case of forgetting to make the file executable or uploading it in text mode.

Thank you very much and Stay connected with me.