PDA

View Full Version : Adoptable hosts Vs Mysidia Adoptables

RoconzaArt
01-26-2011, 04:49 AM
I noticed there are a lot of people who use my adopts and v adopts but what are the advantages to them over hosting your own?

Mysidia Adoptables:

Pros:

Less Down time
Image hosting
Unlimited adoptables
unlimited Pages
unlimited adoptable stages
unlimited pages*
Promo codes
No premium services
Alternate outcomes
Fully Customizable
Less restrictive
Easier to make layout for
More control
Mods
Better support
Ads optional
Shoutbox
Trading

Cons:
You have to get your own host.
Have to have basic knowledge of running a site
Have to have knowledge of FTP
Doing your own coding*
Have to find the right host
No link removal
**BB only
**No adoptable pricing
**No shop

*This is optional since you can use the basic script and still have a working site.
** this is easy to add or will be release in the the next version of the script.

Thing to remember about Mysidia Adoptables is that it's fully customizable any features not present either can be added or will be adding in the future.

My Adopts:

Pros:
Free Hosting
Image hosting
Unlimited adoptables
Promo codes
No premium services
Alternate outcomes
No set up needed.
Can get your site ready quickly.
Easy to use.
Customisable CSS
Also well supported
Free backups
Adoptable pricing
Shoutbox
Online list
Trading

Cons:
Hampered by down time.
Less Customizable
Can't be resource heavy
Risk of having it deleted (related to the above)
Less features (as of now)
Slow down (mostly do to other sites)
No link removal
BB only
No shop

At the bottom of are list is the site I hate. Frankly I have no idea why people use this companies hosting.

v-adoptables:

Free Hosting
No set up needed.
Can get your site ready quickly.
VERY Easy to use.
Customizable CSS
Supported
Features not present in MA
Link removal*

Cons: ugh were I start?
Dreadful navigation
you can't edit your site from the site it's self
Limited adoptables****
Limited adoptable stages****
Limited pages****
Limited Inbox Size****
Ads****
Promised features being pushed back repeatedly
No Image hosting

****Require you to spend points.

Pleas let me know if I missed any thing here or if there is another site I missed.

NO V-petsite does not count! adoptables and petsites are to different animals!

Kaeliah
01-26-2011, 08:14 AM
^.^ I'm gonna move this to Adoptable Buzz. Webmasters board is really for showcasing non-Mysidia sites.

RoconzaArt
01-26-2011, 08:16 AM
I didn't know were to put it.

PTGigi
01-26-2011, 08:19 AM
Well I use MA a bit so I can add some X3 (and as being a Vice Admin on MA I can only think of positive stuff right now, sorry if I sound like I'm advocating for "my" own site :ohnoes: )

MA (pros):
-Shoutbox
-Online list
-Trading

Oh and about the shops, it's rather easy to make one, just promocode+money+new page=shop. :meow: So you might just wanna add there's no built in shop but you can make one :usedusedused:

Oh and I think people use V-Adopts because it came before MA (form my best guess) and those are the only two adoptable hosting website I've heard of. Thus, the older one would get more traffic in a sense. :coloness:

RoconzaArt
01-26-2011, 08:27 AM
I guess your right about the shop promo code combo. It never fails to impress me how creative people can be even with MA limits. I think one flaw of it is the slow down caused by resource heavy sites. sigh pokemon site to be frank....

Ugh I even hear people say v-adopt is better!? I dunno what I hate about them is they promise features and one year later NOT A THING has changed.

Hall of Famer
01-26-2011, 09:41 AM
Well people have different tastes, there's something we will have to realize, accept and live with. You can always list advantages and disadvantages of using a software or hosting services, but whether they are good or bad is completely up for the users to figure out on their own.

@ Gigi: Mys has Trade and shoutbox too. XD I am rather more interested in learning what other exclusive features MA has over Mys and VA though.

RoconzaArt
01-26-2011, 09:47 AM
True true but in terms of good service and support you can't beat mysidia adoptables and My adopts. I'm not saying there wrong for liking v-adopts I'm just saying there service is not as good as MY. I think they try doing to much. At least Brenden made the wise choice to sell his script and take care of MA. Clicky games now lunaverse promises the world and does not deliver. There is one thing I hate it's a developer who baits you with promises they can't keep. I think they should stick to one thing before doing another.

This is what annoys me about people who a lot of projects. They can't focus one one site and end up with one or more suffering for it.

Hall of Famer
01-26-2011, 11:24 AM
Dont worry about it Roconza, you didnt really say anything wrong. I was just answering your question why some people actually prefer vadoptables even if it may seem inferior to you. Hope it cleared your doubts a little bit.

RoconzaArt
01-26-2011, 12:24 PM
I under stand I didn't mean to bash them it's just they let me down and I never forgot. I just hope people weigh the pro and cons of each option in order to get the best use out of what they need.

I just feel bad for people still waiting for those updates.

PTGigi
01-26-2011, 02:06 PM
@ Gigi: Mys has Trade and shoutbox too. XD I am rather more interested in learning what other exclusive features MA has over Mys and VA though.
Wait I thought the Mys column had those listed already *rereads* Oh nope XD

RoconzaArt
01-26-2011, 02:22 PM
My bad I forgot to add it feel free to point point any thing I missed.

konzair
01-26-2011, 04:03 PM
I decided to use MySidia because there i have the full control over the code. The source lays infront of me and i can modify it to my likings. Also it's not restricted to ONE host. I also have full access to the database and all that stuff. I like to see what happens behind the scene because i don't think people using all the other adoptables hosts are just kids with big dreams of having their own game without nhvaing any knowledges ^^

if you want to create something you have to work hard for it. USE MYSIDIA ^^

RoconzaArt
01-26-2011, 04:21 PM
if you want to create something you have to work hard for it. USE MYSIDIA ^^

Did you you know your my hero? jk Any how it's a good thing there are hosting site since more people learn there is more work in making a site then it seems. Sadly the fail rate for hosted scripts tend to be high. It really does take real effort and if it's on a whim it will not work.

PTGigi
01-26-2011, 04:37 PM
Me being me I have to disagree partially on some points X3

A lot of the MyAdopts websites are crap/unedited sites that are never shown. But a lot of the more active base has websites that are very well done and have a lot of effort put into. Now you may say, 'why not use Mysidia, etc?' Well it's for a couple reasons:

1-Not everyone is a coder. The MA base is more artists.

2-Not everyone can buy their own server and from reading around free servers are never good for adoptables sites when they get popular

3- kids with big dreams of having their own game without nhvaing any knowledgesI've seen Rusnak (saying rusnak because that's the era I'm talking about, plus I haven't seen many Mys sites yet :3), V-Adopt, and MA sites that match. The difference is just the hosting. I was a complete n00b when I came to Rusnak about 1-2 years ago (forget the exact time). I did not know how to code nor did I learn it. It wasn't until I went to MA, made a site, put craploads of effort into it, got it really popular, then remembered Rusnak and felt more comfortable coding because I'd learned more coding languages from when I first came to Rusnak and when I was considering the site move. Also when I was first on Rusnak I had the 'big dream" opinion.

4-About the whim. My site is on a whim (or at least started that way). It went from Oh I should make an adoptables website, to POKEMONZ, to Mewtwo only, to Mewtwo and Mew, to Mewtwo, Mew and maybe a few others, to where it is now. And so much more work is going into this than my first Rusnak site *shudders at the horridness of it and it's bright purple theme*

5-And about effort, there is no way to measure effort. But truly a lot of the popular MA sites show great effort because people are going above and beyond what is expected of an MA site. Some people have added so much to the site the only way you can tell it is MA is the url and the footer text.

Free hosting gets down because, sadly, anyone can make a site and the majority of people see it as a way to make something without effort. But that is not true for all peeps :3

Sorry if that sounded offensive or ranty, it was not meant to be just making my point X3 Plus I have an essay to write (why I am writing so much here but barely anything on my essay D: )

Hall of Famer
01-26-2011, 05:00 PM
Well there's actually one point that I'd like to mention after reading from gigi's post. Before I worked on RA v1.1 with Enddayne and Arianna, the old Rusnak PHP Adoptables script lacked too many basic features to make it even appealing to aspiring petsite builders. There was no gender and shoutbox, no cash mod, and no trade system. The only advantage of using RA was, well, you could fully customize your script and pay $15 to remove copyright. It wasnt even a surprise why most people use MA.

For Mysidia Adoptables, well, I dont really wanna comment on this yet since it was a brand new script project and will take time to grow. I am this type of guy who never hype up anything I am doing unless I am 100% sure that it will come out as amazing as I expect. I dont wanna promise anything, but I try my best to do as much as I can.

Another thing to keep in mind is that Mys, MA and VA aint perfect substitutes for each other. There are features exclusive on all three sites, even for VA.

RoconzaArt
01-26-2011, 05:10 PM
I was going to reply with my opinion but I don't think any of you will like it so I'll just say let's agree to disagree gigi.

Like HOF said:

Another thing to keep in mind is that Mys, MA and VA aint perfect substitutes for each other. There are features exclusive on all three sites, even for VA.

Even if VA did break my heart. :'(

PTGigi
01-26-2011, 05:12 PM
Yeah, part of the reason I went to MA was because of the added features X3

I've never used V-Adopts but I have to say I like their site layout, excluding having to be logged in to go everywhere X3 (I love stalking websites XD)

EDIT: Lolz, ninja. Well everyone is welcome to their own opinion :3 I was just stating mine since other peeps were ^-^

How'd it break your heart? D:

Hall of Famer
01-26-2011, 05:13 PM
lol I can still see your post Roconza. ^^

Dont worry about it, you can have your opinion so long as it is not that offensive. Nothing is absolutely right or wrong, we'd definitely respect your idea so long as you have a point. I wouldnt really mind if people criticize me or Mys, it should be a good chance for me to learn what to do with this script to make it better.

PTGigi
01-26-2011, 05:16 PM
I wouldnt really mind if people criticize me or Mys, it should be a good chance for me to learn what to do with this script to make it better.BMR said something like that once when someone made a topic for V-Adopts on MA. Basically seeing what the competition has or doesn't have can help improve what we've got :D

Hall of Famer
01-26-2011, 05:21 PM
Well yeah, thats just one side about competition though. Competition can also bring hatred among communities, as I've seen a lot from pokemon forums. Even competition has pros and cons. XD

RoconzaArt
01-26-2011, 05:22 PM
Well what makes you diffrent for the others is you make up for it in features and heck making unique art for all 600+ is not easy. I just hate the sites are running around not crediting the copy right holders. Most MA pokemon site just slap some in game sprites and wait for the people to roll in.

Man doesn't just make you mad HOF? I mean those sites are making your site look less creditable? Don't you feel frustrated that you have to work ten times harder to be noticed?

PTGigi
01-26-2011, 05:22 PM
Well good thing I'm not on Pokemon Forums then X3

Well everything has pros and cons X3 It just seems like I'm prone to see the pros only XD

EDIT: More ninja'd!

Actually Pokemon sites are being shut down (on MA) for two reasons,
1) No copyright
and/or
2) Using too much server resources and the art was not actually made by them (original art sites are not touched)

RoconzaArt
01-26-2011, 05:25 PM
Understand The nature is of my post was not for competition. Just to review the pros and cons of MYs over hosting.

Hall of Famer
01-26-2011, 05:28 PM
lol gigi. There are lots of secrets about pokemon forums that you dont know. Do you know large pokemon forums despise smaller ones? XD

And Roconza, I havent really thought of this yet. I tried not to worry myself with activity on Pokemansion until I believe it is comparable to sites like GPXplus and Virtualadopts. Its rather hard to build a pokemon adoptables site though, especially if you actually want it to be somewhat special and unique.

RoconzaArt
01-26-2011, 05:34 PM
My friend wants me to help him with his but all I can do is make unique art. I don't predict a good out come. I have doubts art alone will be enough for him.

Hall of Famer
01-26-2011, 05:36 PM
Well actually the hardest thing for me working on Pokemansion is that, well, I am the only one capable of coding an adoptable site on my pokemon forum. Elec helps with themes, but thats it. XD

PTGigi
01-26-2011, 05:36 PM
That's what I'm trying to do with my site X3 Unique art + idea (ish). When you make a site you can only hope people like it X3

Now back to stalking the files to find that one file I found really funny >.>

RoconzaArt
01-26-2011, 05:44 PM
Well he pretty much is layed back and told me I could make them how I like which is owner speak for you do all the work I'll just watch. >> He also has me doing the layout....I'm starting to regret this......

Any how hopefully no matter what the person chooses to use they will work hard and try to find creative away to make it fun.

Hall of Famer
01-28-2011, 12:01 PM
Mys has adoptables pricing feature now, cheers. ^^

Rozel
03-18-2011, 08:47 PM
Ugh I even hear people say v-adopt is better!? I dunno what I hate about them is they promise features and one year later NOT A THING has changed.

I can understand why. V-adopt is easy to set up, while Mysidia is hard. I haven't personally use V-adopts however I've used an extremely old version of V-Petsites a long time ago and participate in the community there. Myadopts and V-adopt seems the same, sort of. Just depends on who you are to make you like one more. It is nowhere better then Mysidia though, Mysidia is extremely customizable and constantly is getting loads of new features and people willing to make amazing mods. It's just you need to know how to host on a website, need to know PHP, and know at least a little bit about a database to do it. Lots of people can't do that, but anyone serious enough will probably choose Mysidia over the others.

RoconzaArt
03-18-2011, 08:59 PM
need to know PHP, and know at least a little bit about a database to do it.

Not if you use it as a stand alone site. Now if you want to customize with user made mods it then yes knowing a php helps in installing them. If you want completely custom features you either need to hire a programmer or make them your self.

Rozel
03-20-2011, 11:20 PM
I don't mean fully know PHP. I don't know PHP at all, you just need to understand the basics of it to customize it to your needs and add simple mods to it that will improve the site. Without being at least a little familiar with the basics, you can't really get anywhere.

I'm just saying that someone who may not be the best with computers and how web hosts work may have trouble starting their adoptable site.

RoconzaArt
03-20-2011, 11:49 PM
Not really if you don't add mods and don't plan customize it then yes you can make a site with out knowing php. However like you said if you want to customize it to your needs then yes basic php skills are needed. Now saying you can't make a good site with out customizing I'm not to sure.

Rozel
03-25-2011, 11:36 AM
You still have to set it up by going into the site, chmodding stuff, etc. But it's not that hard I guess. But really, without wanting to customize it, then you might as well use myadopts.

RoconzaArt
03-25-2011, 12:11 PM
What about breeding?

Nemesis
03-26-2011, 01:15 PM
I think having your own host is better, it puts you in full control, however you do need to do know what your doing so i can see why others would start with those free host services. I myself used them just so I didn't have to do any work to test some ideas even though im fully capable of installing the script...

But the BIGGEST factor for having your own host (which im surprised was not mentioned) is you control the ads or lack there of. By using these "free" hosts you're showing their ads and making them money. Honestly I am quite jealous of the idea. But more importantly if you want your site to succeed, not having ads will make your site more appealing than most that have ads and those free my adopts sites do not allow you to take their ads off..

JShortstreet
08-09-2011, 02:00 AM
That’s true! The ads on your site when you use a free host suck! I don't like them either, but they have to make money one way or another and if they can't charge you they have to charge someone else. That’s the drawback of it being for free. I always say, stay away from free. I'd rather pay a little money for a good web hosting (http://www.ixwebhosting.com/) package and not have any foreign ads on my site and have a little more control over it.

Teshia
08-09-2011, 10:42 PM
I think the advantage of things like MyAdopts is that you can start a petsite without any coding knowledge or setup. When I first started that was to my advantage because now that I'm working on my own hosting site I already have a list of followers who I know will join the community. Plus it was an excellent place to test my idea for interest and see if it was even worthwhile to work on the site at all.

As for free hosting, there are sites like 000webhost that provide ad-free hosting and still allow you access to regular hosting services like databases and phpmyadmin. You just gotta shop around. Imo, ads shouldn't be an issue when you first start your site. Focus on content.

Rozel
08-10-2011, 12:19 AM
I think the advantage of things like MyAdopts is that you can start a petsite without any coding knowledge or setup. When I first started that was to my advantage because now that I'm working on my own hosting site I already have a list of followers who I know will join the community. Plus it was an excellent place to test my idea for interest and see if it was even worthwhile to work on the site at all.

As for free hosting, there are sites like 000webhost that provide ad-free hosting and still allow you access to regular hosting services like databases and phpmyadmin. You just gotta shop around. Imo, ads shouldn't be an issue when you first start your site. Focus on content.

There have been a few claims that adoptable websites aren't allowed on 000webhost btw~

Teshia
08-10-2011, 10:05 PM
The terms of service can be found here: http://www.000webhost.com/includes/tos.php

MySidia is not an online gaming script. They're talking about arcades and gambling games where you bet money.

I've never had an issue with my adoptable site being on 000webhost.

Nemesis
08-11-2011, 12:39 AM
7. We do not allow online gaming scripts such as ogame, mafia, etc.. (allowed if you upgrade account)

wrong adoptable would be classified as a game script, just like ogame, mafia, etc... there are a bit more recourse heavy and prolly bandwidth usage, just compared to a static site.

4. We do not allow any file sharing scripts to be run. (allowed if you upgrade account)

I would also imagine this rule being broken as most adopt sites hotlink the pet images to forums and other sites. Maybe someone could contact support and straighten this hole thing out but that's how i would see it.

Teshia
08-11-2011, 06:53 PM
Before I ever hosted my site with them I contacted their customer support for clarification because I didn't want to break their ToS. Adoptable sites are permitted. What they mean by game scripts is gambling programs or games that require money in order to play.

Hotlinking is much different from Filesharing. They simply want to prevent people from torrenting illegal movies and programs.

Rozel
08-11-2011, 10:09 PM
Before I ever hosted my site with them I contacted their customer support for clarification because I didn't want to break their ToS. Adoptable sites are permitted. What they mean by game scripts is gambling programs or games that require money in order to play.

Hotlinking is much different from Filesharing. They simply want to prevent people from torrenting illegal movies and programs.

This is exactly what I thought at first, but all the people thinking otherwise made me also do the same. If this is true then I'll be happy to keep using 000webhost :3

Teshia
08-12-2011, 03:17 PM
If you're worried about it just contact their customer service and ask. I showed them my MA site first so they could see what I was building and they said it was just fine. That was a few years ago, though, so it never hurts to ask again.