PDA

View Full Version : Referrals

Kyris
01-31-2011, 11:08 PM
I haven't seen this suggestion, so here it is :happyc:

It'll be nice to have a referrals system that when a new user signs up, they can type in who referred them to our site :) As a thank you to the person who referred them we could have maybe a special pet or cash. :smile:

Hall of Famer
01-31-2011, 11:11 PM
Well referrals system does exist on all VB forums, even though some do not display users number of referrals on their profiles. I like your idea a lot, perhaps the best way for this community to grow at this moment.

fadillzzz
01-31-2011, 11:18 PM
Well referrals system does exist on all VB forums, even though some do not display users number of referrals on their profiles. I like your idea a lot, perhaps the best way for this community to grow at this moment.
I think she's talking about the Mys Adoptables script, not the forum...

DragonTamerChris
01-31-2011, 11:19 PM
I haven't seen this suggestion, so here it is :happyc:

It'll be nice to have a referrals system that when a new user signs up, they can type in who referred them to our site :) As a thank you to the person who referred them we could have maybe a special pet or cash. :smile:

HoF I think the person means have it on the mysidia scripts, not on this forum. (Gah ninja'ed. D:)

I personally don't like referrals because people can get annoyed when they see people ask them to sign up and put their username and can generally make people look down on those sites such as people saying "Oh no, not a another Mysidia referral link" or something like that, but that's just me.

Hall of Famer
01-31-2011, 11:23 PM
oh my badness, I replied just by looking at the thread title.

Yeah this can be done, you will need to add a new textbox called 'Referrer' in register.php, insert two new column 'Referrer' and 'Referrals' in prefix_users table, and then the script should check if the entered referrer's name matches any existing user's name. The value 'Referrals' is initiated as 0, and it increments whenever a referred user signs up. You can play the game further by adding cash or even items for the referrers.

Bloodrun
02-02-2011, 11:01 AM
oh my badness, I replied just by looking at the thread title.

Yeah this can be done, you will need to add a new textbox called 'Referrer' in register.php, insert two new column 'Referrer' and 'Referrals' in prefix_users table, and then the script should check if the entered referrer's name matches any existing user's name. The value 'Referrals' is initiated as 0, and it increments whenever a referred user signs up. You can play the game further by adding cash or even items for the referrers.

You'll need to run a query to check to see if the person they wrote down as a referer is actually a member. Also, having the new email check query in the registration will help make sure people don't abuse the referal system.

Tony
02-02-2011, 02:45 PM
I'll start on this right now and release it shortly. Thanks for the idea.

V1 released:
http://www.mysidiaadoptables.com/forum/showthread.php?p=14245#post14245