PDA

View Full Version : Caring for a living thing?

RoconzaArt
03-18-2011, 11:36 AM
I want to get a cat or a dog but I been thing. "Am I really ready to take in a living creature?" Sure I have money now but what will happen if I lose my income?

My therapist says I should get a pet to help with my mental heath. Is that really the right reason to get a pet? Is it really fair to the creature to just get it to full the void in my life? What if it gets sick will I have enough to get it the care it needs? As a animal lover I am torn between my desire to give my pet a good life and my desire to fill the void of loneliness since I started living on my own.

Is it really right to just get a living feeling creature for my own selfish desires?

Tequila
03-18-2011, 01:17 PM
It depends on your situation. If you don't want to take a large step right away, see if you can volunteer at your local shelter (they always need people to help out). You could go and play with the animals, or even see what the fostering qualifications are.

If you do decide to get a pet go to the shelter (or if looking for a cat, a local farm) and get one from there.

RoconzaArt
03-18-2011, 05:33 PM
Sadly I don't have car so I can't drive to one but I'll look in to it. I think your idea would be the best way to go.

Tequila
03-18-2011, 05:39 PM
Sadly I don't have car so I can't drive to one but I'll look in to it. I think your idea would be the best way to go.
Is there a bus service in your area? Sometimes public transport isn't too bad cost wise, you could always find out how close they get to the shelter as well. :)

If anything try one of the more interactive flash based creature games (Foopets comes to mind) it may be a little bit of help.

RoconzaArt
03-19-2011, 05:59 PM
There is a bus that goes there but it's just quite a walk since the bus does not go all the way back were it is.

Also foopets is p2p last I checked.

Tequila
03-19-2011, 06:13 PM
That's good, walking is a lot of fun when you have the proper weather. :)

Ack, it wasn't before...

shiann
03-20-2011, 07:18 PM
Well.. Foopets is a bit different than taking care of an actual living, breathing pet. For instance, Foopets don't chew on your shoes or throw up on your floors or scratch the furniture. I have one housecat and I love him beyond words, but he does have a tendancy to make messes.

Nyxi's idea is good, though. About playing with them and such first. I recommend a cat if you don't have much experience because while they're loving, they're less demanding. Then again every animal is different, you just want to spend time with them before you choose. :3