PDA

View Full Version : Logging in for the First Time

Rozel
09-03-2011, 04:13 PM
I'm curious if, when the user logs in that they be directed to a certain page. After viewing the page and clicking "Continue" or some kind of button, it would stop popping up every time they started.

For example, I want to have a page for beginners that explains a few basics of how to start and what they should do. It'll have an NPC explaining she gave you some money to buy an adoptable, and then tells you how to acquire more... Pretty much like a good, warm welcome. Then at the bottom of the page it'll say the NPC says something like...

"Alright, bye!" and then you can click a button that says "Continue on to the website" or something. -shrugs-

Any help appreciated :D

Nemesis
09-03-2011, 09:24 PM
I am willing to bet this would be easy. In pseudo code, have your pages check a variable, say 'new', and if its 0 or false then redirect to the beginner page, and the beginner page also ads 1 to the 'new' variable or makes it true. now when the pages check variable 'new' it shouldn't redirect. you will also need to add the variable 'new' to the sql table. Now you just need this in php lol.

I took a stab at it, interested in if my idea would work and what else you guys will come up with.

Hall of Famer
09-04-2011, 03:17 AM
umm I believe it is possible to setup redirect page and command, there are lots of solutions you can find from google.

Linkin-Dreamer
09-04-2011, 09:39 AM
I'm not sure about re-directing, but you could edit your lang.php file.

So where it says this -

$regsuccess2 = ". Your account has been created and you have automatically been logged in. You can now <a href='adopt.php'>Adopt Some Pets</a> or <a href='account.php'>Manage Your Account</a>.";

You could change it to this -

$regsuccess2 = ". Your account has been created and you have automatically been logged in. You can now <a href='adopt.php'>Adopt Some Pets</a> or <a href='account.php'>Manage Your Account</a>. You could also head over to <a href='pages.php?page=firstlogin'>here</a> to help get you started";

Or you could go about editing it further, if you have HTML knowledge. Y'know, since you're re-directed to here if you register correctly. I think adding further code onto here would be a waste of time.

Rozel
09-05-2011, 12:51 PM
I'm not that good with PHP, I can usually just take it then edit it a bit to my needs but never really one to make up stuff. I can never remember what to type and whatnot... So if anyone could give me more specific code would be helpful.

Also Linkin, you're idea is good, but I was kind of thinking that it would pop up every time you logged in until you pressed a certain button, just to make sure you understood and saw it. Like if you register but then accidently close or miss a few things. Some people just pass by on things like that, while if they had a button to press they might be drawn to read it a bit more :P

Linkin-Dreamer
09-05-2011, 04:22 PM
I see, makes sense.

Rozel
09-13-2011, 10:39 PM
So anyone gonna work on this or no :o?

mapleblade
10-19-2011, 01:03 PM
ill go try and do it, once i did it, ill post it in the mods section.

kitty08
10-23-2011, 08:13 AM
you can do that on the register.php page.when you register,something like welcome XXXX,edit your account or...

you can put a link with "see basics" and add a pet to the database with for owner the newcomer.

mapleblade
10-23-2011, 01:50 PM
kitty, didnt u notice i already made this and put it in the mod section, but good :P