PDA

View Full Version : gemstone hosting...

Nemesis
10-18-2011, 12:12 AM
Most of you know but Lots of new newbies here too, but I offer free hosting and script installation. However with school you'll have to be patient as I will get to your site when i get to it. Plus I have many of my own projects school related and not that I work on so could be a while... My activity here has even dropped drastically... it really sucks having to write and 8 page paper then the 20 page website is due then the history exam is coming up ugh, but most of you know how that is.

More on Gemstone Hosting... I don't think im going to be keeping it... I never really finished it. I said before I acquired the server from school cause I needed it true but I actually turned my really old hp desktop with no cd or floppy drive just 2 usb ports into a dedicated server running linux crux right now. In fact it also acts as a minecraft server and will be prepped for my future projects. specs:
2.4ghz processor
2 gigs ram
250gb hdd

More reasons for not keeping gemstone is because the adsense stopped working. Not sure why and i never heard back, I had way over 100k impressions monthly and over 100 uniques a day bringing in extra dollars offsetting the server price. And don't think for a second I clicked the ads or used any sort of black hat tactics... it was all legit but adsense was apparently not happy with traffic.

Here's the route we have to take, either A people upgrade to sapphire accounts and make me keeping the server and aiding in installations worthwhile or in B about a year the service will be gone. Sorry but i think that's how its gonna have to be. I know longer have the time, and the time i have needs to be spent on things that bring in money, because that's how the world works :(

PTGigi
10-18-2011, 10:17 AM
I'll ask my parents if I can upgrade (I have the money to upgrade it's just they may not be excited about it). Either way I'll see if I can help out! :3 I love your service, it's the best and most affordable I've found and I'd hate to see it go down D:

I also assume this has something to do with the pop-up ads appearing? O:

Inf3rnal
10-18-2011, 10:51 AM
Nemesis I recommend you switch over to Adbrite!
I've been using them for awhile now and their results are better when I used Adsense.

I'm currently hosting my servers on linuxbased server as well. I hope you can figure something out.

Nemesis
10-18-2011, 12:22 PM
Gigi I do need to apologize if you noticed any problems with new ads as I have been desperately trying to find a new ad network solution. Lots of them work for a while then i catch them redirecting our traffic or popping up download boxes, so those are out of the question. As of now they're all removed. And thanks for your support, I want to make this work and will figure something out.

Inf3rnal thanks for your suggestion, I tried Adbrite and use it on some other sites and it does perform quite well. However when i added it to sites on the free hosting even after 5 days it still just showed the adbrite is setting up and may take a few hours blank thing.

A possible solution could be adfly I can add it so every 2nd or third click on your site opens an iframe that shows an ad for 5 seconds then needs to be skipped and will happens once per ip per 24 hours. first time visitors or pet clicks will not need to pass the ad but your regular members as they will be clicking around the site more will need to skip the ad once a day. we could try that.

And anyone hosting with me please don't panic. Your sites will be fine, though you should have your own back ups incase, but what im saying is im not gonna disappear and leave you hanging if it doesn't work out i'll make sure you have time to move. there's still plenty of time i am just explaining the situation here, i was hopeing to keep recovering the costs.

ChibiMaestro
10-18-2011, 04:32 PM
Ahhh, no wonder there's random ads on Altara for clicks :3 I was like "Where'd this come from?" XD It amused me :3

Nemesis
10-18-2011, 11:58 PM
OMG Adbrite is working! Gemstone Hosting can be saved if its not costing me to much and at least now we have a stable ad network we can trust. Again sorry for trying other networks that weren't so legit.

Inf3rnal
10-19-2011, 09:53 AM
Adbrite is amazing. I'm glad you got it working!

Hall of Famer
10-20-2011, 01:06 AM
Thats so good to know, gemstone hosting's disappearance will cause many Mysidia adoptables sites to be hostless. Glad you figured it out.

PTGigi
10-20-2011, 01:14 PM
Urf I hate to bring up more issues >.<"

The new ads seems to be messing with the tables on my site D: I've found the issue to be present on Safari and Chrome, IE doesn't have the error (which I can't screenshot the error at this time because I'm on a computer that only has IE right now). I can check if it messes up on FF in about an hour (I get home from school then).

But basically it sticks my title-bar to any table on the page, combines tables if there are multiple tables on the page, and extends the table out beyond the main body of the site; it also misaligns everything D: If you have Chrome/Safari (or Firefox if the error is present on Firefox) this (http://www.altara.99webs.info/profile.php?id=2&act=pets) page is one of the best examples I can find >.<"

And another question, I couldn't find this anywhere on the main site but if I switch to the Sapphire or Ruby plan do ads go away? Most hosts I know of have a system like this (free=ads, paid=ad free, or a pay for ad removal type deal). It would end all issues with the ads for my site at least |D

ChibiMaestro
10-20-2011, 01:45 PM
Gigi, it appears fine with me, and I use Chrome. Screeny plz, I want to see XD

PTGigi
10-20-2011, 02:01 PM
Gigi, it appears fine with me, and I use Chrome. Screeny plz, I want to see XDHuh, yeah I had Ezzy who had Chrome saying it wasn't working, I can ask her for a screenshot.

Oddly I'm finding now the error generally appears after you refresh or revisit a page. And in some cases (user pet page, profile page) it occurs after you wait for the page to fully load O.o

Creature pages
Normal: http://www.iaza.com/work/111021C/iaza17621357944600.png
Error: http://www.iaza.com/work/111021C/iaza17621340652200.png

User pet list
Normal: http://www.iaza.com/work/111021C/iaza17621317987500.png
Error: http://www.iaza.com/work/111021C/iaza17621341658200.png

Nemesis
10-20-2011, 03:06 PM
I am gonna look into the table problems as soon as i can. It does appear to only happen when you refresh, and when i refreshed again it was fixed... very strange.

Also yes upgrading your account removes the ads, I have a few people already do that. I am also working on an affiliate program something like if you refer 5 people you get upgraded free. Not sure when I can implement that though so much to do :(

Corsair
02-03-2012, 03:46 PM
I bought your hosting, I think since your hosting petsite may you will be a better host then my last.

Have you tried picking your hosting VPL maybe you can get more people to sign up. If your hosting is I'll even vouch for you. Tons of new petsite users go there.

Nemesis
02-04-2012, 01:22 PM
Thank you, your hosing package is now Ruby. Let me know if you need anything. I am available through fiverr, mysidia, and your cpanel support tickets.

Corsair
02-04-2012, 01:29 PM
First off thank you that was quite quick

how ever the website will not load for me for some reason

Nemesis
02-04-2012, 02:24 PM
your site is showing your tumblr feed. Try clearing your history/cache so your web browser displays any new changes.

Also i should point out that these servers are located within my college. As such the students get a discount on them. We are allowed to host as much Static or low cpu content as we want. Furthermore the servers are used for training new IT professionals. Although according to uptime robot the servers have a 99.87% uptime they will go down from time to time. I have gotten emails from people saying there sites are down, having checked the schools news feed I have learned that files are being transferred from some machines to others for student practice and so those machines can be worked on.

So hosting with us is cheaper and your getting semi professional or professionals in training server support.

Corsair
02-04-2012, 02:29 PM
I tried clearing my history/cache.

EDIT: oh I did not mean my site I meant 99webs.info thanks for the info.

Nemesis
02-05-2012, 08:07 PM
Thanks for pointing this out to me. I just found in my junk folder that a Name Server was changed. So I have updated it in godaddy but will take some time. :hmmm::displeased:

Edit: wow it fixed that instantly lol. sorry if this caused any inconvenience but my .edu email is pretty stupid.

Corsair
02-06-2012, 04:11 AM
Thank you very much.:smile:

Hall of Famer
02-06-2012, 06:08 PM
Looks like your hosting service is starting to take off, good luck Nemesis you've been excellent help here.

Corsair
02-06-2012, 07:56 PM
I may get another but first I need to get my password reset.

Nemesis
02-06-2012, 11:58 PM
Yes thank you HOF and Corsair and all other of my clients. Just some info about us, we have 91 registered clients but only 40 actually active sites, i have deleted 37 inactive and the rest are pending deletion of unused.

When I was upgraded on fiverr to a level 1 seller I had to expand to deal with all the new bandwidth usage and account creation lol.

I still have plans on working with this script and launching my own adopt site but school and work is such a drag. Already got professors mad at me for missing assignments :/ but there only worth like 5-10% of my grade lol. (with 10 assignments in that category then were talking 1% XD)

Anyways im learning a lot of programming in java and I hope to eventually offer coding services some how. I am really looking into making a battle system though i'll probably need php but i know java does work on web too so couldn't it use the sql database and work with the php script?

Corsair
02-07-2012, 06:25 AM
Ah may I ask what the time frame of inactivity is?

Hall of Famer
02-07-2012, 02:24 PM
umm I bet you are confusing Java with Javascript. I know Javascript can be used to make a battle system in action, but Java... They are actually two different programming languages though.

Nemesis
02-07-2012, 03:09 PM
Nope I am aware of the difference. Short on time I copied this

"Java is a powerful and versatile language that can be used to develop a variety of applications, including websites. you can build a website using servlets written in Java 6 on the Apache Tomcat 6 web server. While a website may be built on Tomcat using only Java Server Pages (JSP)."

So further research shows that java can run server side and be used in websites. But actually in this case it is probably not practical to try and implement with an already php script. Most programing is the same just statement syntax is done differently. I will just get around to learning PHP too.

Also I had made battle systems in javascript already but only by declaring variables myself. I am not sure how to use javascript to use sql for like level or other attack or defense stats.

Nemesis
02-07-2012, 08:53 PM
Ah may I ask what the time frame of inactivity is?

Oh probably like 30 days or so i'll email you if there's a problem with your account.

Corsair
02-07-2012, 09:07 PM
Oh probably like 30 days or so i'll email you if there's a problem with your account.

Thank very much seeing we are not open yet we have bouts of inactivity.

...and um I'm kinda in need of a password reset for some reason the password I used was not working maybe I wrong when I made the account.

Nemesis
02-09-2012, 09:57 PM
I did answer your support ticket, many apologies our sites reset password button/feature was never coded XD but i did reset the password for you. Feel free to change it again to w/e you want.

Corsair
02-09-2012, 11:04 PM
Thank so very much for your help.

Nemesis
02-13-2012, 01:22 PM
Just wanted to say your site mavunova.com is looking amazing. It is just a "coming soon" landing page but Your Logo rocks, the color scheme is good, and the adoptable is original. I see this site going far and am honored to be hosting it :)

Tequila
02-15-2012, 08:59 PM
All right, I finally signed up, this is great for my little MysProject site. ;3

And it's very nice. I especially like the cpanel set up. ;3 What are you using for it?

Nemesis
02-16-2012, 08:21 PM
well its about time you signed up for the best host (at least better than 000webs as my goal.) and it perfect for projects big and small. Yes we do have a nice interesting control panel very cpanel like but with more features. I got it from the school and will not be disclosing it sorry :hmmm:

Canaille
07-18-2012, 12:18 PM
Oh. Wow. I was just looking for a place to host a pet site for a friend, and came across gemstone. Didn't realize it was yours til now. So that's great. Signing up now (it'll be the freebie account for now). :)