PDA

View Full Version : Well someone was wrong :/

SilverDragonTears
12-24-2011, 12:35 PM
I asked the question before, when should I upgrade my hosting plan to avoid a lot of traffic issues on my site. I received this email today:

"The domain silvadopts.com (robynswo) has reached 80% of its bandwidth limit (108295.95/135000.00 Megs)."

Now what? Pray they don't suspend my account?

Nemesis
12-24-2011, 03:44 PM
lol upgrade your account (pay more for bandwidth)
I was gonna offer you this
http://fiverr.com/nemesis51/host-your-sites-for-a-lifetime
but i just realize we couldn't fit you on our shared hosting lol.

I know some great Virtual Private Server (VPS) and Dedicated servers with great pricing if your interested!

Hall of Famer
12-24-2011, 03:48 PM
Well yeah, you will have to upgrade your hosting package in order to run your ever-growing site. Id take it as a good news since it indicates that your site is doing really well.

Kaeliah
12-24-2011, 11:15 PM
You can also try to lower bandwidth by making your pictures smaller. I checked out your site and even on my fast internet it took a bit to load. If you compress you pictures(I notice you use png, which is good but it may be worth it to also consider jpg for larger images. For example, the background on your pages is pretty, but it's also about 850kb. So every time someone looks at one of your pages, that's 850kb of bandwidth out the window. I did a quick check and if you were to change that image alone, it would take it's size down to 150kb. That's a reduction of 700kb! You're saving almost 700 Megs per 1000 page loads on your site, and that's just one image! Eliminating useless code from pages that don't need it is another way to shrink file sizes, and calling information that is unneeded is another way to lower bandwidth. :) Hope that helps.

SilverDragonTears
12-25-2011, 01:04 AM
Thank you for all the info :) I upgraded my package and will see if that helps for the next few months. If not I'll try the image thing and look through my scripts and try to narrow down unnecessary code. It is good news though :) I never imagined the site would grow like this... at least not so quickly!!

SilverDragonTears
12-27-2011, 01:17 AM
@Kaeliah - Can you tell me if removing the background helped?

Kaeliah
12-27-2011, 01:31 AM
Wow. I'm actually really impressed, that is an incredibly sharp alternative and it did load MUCH faster. :)

SilverDragonTears
12-27-2011, 01:55 AM
Hehe :) I blushed! Thank you :)