PDA

View Full Version : a few suggestions/thing's i'm missing

schepers12
09-19-2012, 12:37 PM
(not sure if i'm posting this on the right place of the board and if they've already been all suggested)

hello all~!

first of all: i love the engine, but i miss some things in this engine (some may be made as mods):

adoptables that get hungry without food or drink, and after a while (if the adoptable isn't frozen) they die

the adoptable needs a mood-level in my poinion, which indicates if it needs care, for example: give a toy to play with, which is an item) // saw this was a feature for 1.4.0!
(percent bar/number of their hunger, thirst would be cool)

change image URL of an adoptable in the admin center (if you have typed the image url instead of select it from the list), because if you've done it wrong, you'll need to re-create the whole adoptable, which was a pain when i created 5 levels for it already.. >.<;

a place to let your pet take care of if you're away for a long period, or they get sick (yes, these are multiple things in one)

what do you think of these things?

p.s.: i would code the features above (and post them of course) if i had alot more experienced with PHP and mysql...

greetings, schepers12

Hall of Famer
09-19-2012, 03:41 PM
Well I am not sure if food/hunger system will be implemented by version v1.4.0. It is not a feature people constantly ask for, and it can get quite complicated to set up since its likely to require cronjob. The coding aint gonna be a problem, the issue is that many users will have trouble setting up cronjobs.

schepers12
11-10-2012, 06:33 PM
but it can be done by using ajax i guess, by making a timer and looping it infinite once a user has visited the site (like: the admin who just has finished initializing) with javascript enabled.
i know at least one project does that, like: Xnova (an opensource ogame clone)

Hall of Famer
11-21-2012, 08:42 AM
Well yeah, I figured. I will look into the idea of creating a pseudo-cronjob system that does scheduled work whenever a user visits the site. It probably wont work on inactive sites, but if your site receives like at least 10-20 visits/day it should be fine.

For AJAX, I am looking into a framework called CJAX at this point. Not sure when this script will become AJAX-extensive, but someday it will.

Nemesis
11-22-2012, 08:41 PM
cron jobs are simple to set up though. and I want to second the food. it gives the users a reason to log in and something to do and something to collect. think of neopets success.

Hall of Famer
11-22-2012, 09:52 PM
Well for those who struggle to set up a mysql database, cronjobs will be their nightmare. I do know theres a way to emulate cronjobs, Vbulletin and other forums engines like MyBB all have this thing called scheduled tasks. The pseudo cronjob is executed whenever a user visits the site, it checks whether there are scheduled tasks to run. Its a cool idea, although for big sites this increases server load dramatically.

powerchaos
12-04-2012, 06:38 PM
this script is taken care of by signature.php ... it is not that hard to put a psuedocronjob in it that use the same things

a user use his signature all the time to show there pets and to grow there pets
just put the cronjob into the signature script and put a main cronjob at the main page
ont hat way the script always get updated per time the signature get loaded

i also used that system before and it works like it need to be
if no users look , who cares then if a pet die ?
so if you put a check into the signature then it will run like a cronjob

use a timestamp in the db and update the timestamp based on last check , also put a timer on it when it need to be updated so you can get a fully automatic system
it is easy to create and does his job perfect

hopely this provide a solution (i used this for a status script , checks where done in the status image script before it showed the status :D )

Greetings From PowerChaos

edit:
for server load is also a easy fix
you can use timestamps in the future ( like run cron every hour)
so you put in the db a timestamp of 1 hour ahead
then in the script you just load the timestamp and then prevent updating if the hour is not expired

or you work with current time and fixed times in the script and then no db is needed

Greetings From PowerChaos

SkyWing
03-09-2013, 04:13 PM
May I add my opinion about the FOOD?

I'd like you all to take a look at www.Foopets.com
I use to play it all the time, and make sure I got on everyday.
Why, you might ask?
Because it had realistic pets, HUNGER, Happiness, and games that could earn you the site currency.
Everyday, I would be sure to log on so I could care for my pets. I also would pay currency to have other users care for my pets while I was away. You would have shelters, daycares, and what not.

Hall of Famer
03-09-2013, 04:56 PM
Well food definitely is a possible idea, although I am not sure for hunger or happiness since these values may vary with time, which is difficult to do at this moment. You will probably have to set up cronjob, for newbies its almost an impossible task.

SkyWing
03-09-2013, 05:39 PM
Uh-Oh
This little noob is in trouble XD

Hall of Famer
03-09-2013, 08:58 PM
Well if you want the food system to be similar to the clickpet system, its totally doable. You may want to create a table called food to store all available food and a few columns in table prefix.adoptables to specify each pet's favorite and least favorite food.

Kesstryl
03-18-2013, 11:31 PM
Wondering if this feature could be considered in a plug-in/mod instead of in the main game. Or make sure it is something that can be turned on or off. I don't like messing with food, hunger, happiness in other pet games and will not play them if it becomes an insane process to upkeep pets, and I don't want them in my game.

Hall of Famer
03-18-2013, 11:51 PM
Wondering if this feature could be considered in a plug-in/mod instead of in the main game. Or make sure it is something that can be turned on or off. I don't like messing with food, hunger, happiness in other pet games and will not play them if it becomes an insane process to upkeep pets, and I don't want them in my game.

Well in Mys v1.4.0 everything can be turned on and off, even the registration and click-pet system. It is good for admins to experiment certain features on their sites without having to worry about users actions mess things up. In Mys v1.3.3 though, only the breeding, pound and trade system can be turned on/off.