PDA

View Full Version : Mysidia on Git Hub

Nemesis
02-14-2014, 03:48 PM
It looks like mysidia was once on git hub. Why isn't it now?

Hall of Famer
02-14-2014, 03:54 PM
Oh you actually searched for it? It was Fadillzzz's idea, but once he became less active the GitHub page was not maintained since I am not good at using Linux commands. It may seem embarrassing though, I consider myself a capable coder but when it comes down to command line interface I am pretty bad.

IntoRain
02-14-2014, 03:58 PM
Hm, some of the people in my course use this http://www.sourcetreeapp.com so they don't need to use cli

Nemesis
02-14-2014, 06:38 PM
Well I am just learning how to use github myself. You can try this http://try.github.io

I think it will really help promote the scripts development and even different versions can spawn off. like those with battle features, etc....

@intorain thanks for sharing source tree. I will have to try that out!

Hall of Famer
02-15-2014, 07:38 AM
Hm, some of the people in my course use this http://www.sourcetreeapp.com so they don't need to use cli

Interesting. In fact I did install a different GitHub GUI program on my windows PC before and it did not help at all. Maybe yours will, I can give a try.

Kyttias
02-15-2014, 07:45 AM
*chuckle* I've actually stumbled by the empty Mysidia directory on GitHub once or twice myself.

judda
03-27-2014, 06:06 AM
Lots of editors also have Git integrated into it (or plugins to allow you to use git). The best part about it is, you would be able to actually tag the releases similar to what you do now, but through GitHub.

Ping me if you need support with git.

~judda

Zyraph
03-27-2014, 08:18 AM
I was just thinking about this yesterday, and even made a post about it. I've been using something called BitBucket, which is very similar to GitHub, but offers private repositories for free and doesn't require things to be on a GPL. I used SourceTree for the only project I currently have on there, which was supposed to be a hacker-style game made in VB.NET, but I just hit too many roadblocks.

But yeah...I would really love to see this project on some sort of repository. It would make people a lot more willing to develop with it, and allow for custom versions to even accept code from the master version, which could mean a LOT less work for any dev in the long run (especially HoF) :3

Kyttias
03-29-2014, 02:55 AM
I think it's definitely on the agenda along with getting an official API written up. While I know we're all excited for more features, I think it's really important that the existing code is streamlined and documented ASAP, that way we all know how to pitch in without such a massive learning curve. I've spoken to HoF here and there and it's definitely something he's working on, but it takes time.

This framework was adopted from it's original owner and spiffed up a ton, but it's definitely lacking in the documentation. Parts of the source code are decently commented, but definitely not enough of it. I'm patient, but looking forward to it just as much as the rest of you.

Zyraph
03-30-2014, 02:04 AM
Git support, API support, stats, custom images, MVC...goodness, sounds like 1.4 should really be called 2.0 just by the sounds of everything being changed and added on! I mean, converting to a different kind of codebase along with implementation would make most devs call for a major version increase on that alone! It sounds like the difference between 1.3.x and 1.4 will be night and day!

I can be patient...though I will explode in random excitement just kuz this sound extremely epic in all ways! I just have to keep working on the framework of my site (I have url shortening for my site so that it will make it easier for people to link on other sites) :3

judda
03-30-2014, 11:16 AM
I wonder if HOF would be willing to move to using a Framework like Laravel 4.1 for the new version ... yeah it would be a lot of work, but it would also clean up a *lot* of the code and resolve some of the concerns that were previously mentioned about application.

I ran PHPDocumentor on it ... but yeah, the documentation isn't great ... but it's available here: http://bit.ly/QvpCF0

~judda

Hall of Famer
03-30-2014, 01:56 PM
I am indeed building this script on a framework, in fact its a custom framework created by myself. I call it Mysidia Framework, its development will be parallel to Mys v1.4.x's development, and by Mys v1.5.0 I hope it will be complete and probably ready to release as a separate product.

judda
03-30-2014, 02:04 PM
I issue with a custom framework is that there is no active community to support the framework like some of the more used frameworks (i.e. Laravel). This means that you need to build up the users of it otherwise there is only 1 person that can answer the "core" questions, and that is you.

However, you may not be able to be around when someone needs support.

Just my 2 cents about making a custom framework rather than building on top of an existing framework.

~judda

Zyraph
03-30-2014, 06:52 PM
Ah, that explains everything! A custom framework is definitely a huge undertaking, but I believe that is the wisest move for this script. Otherwise, it's just a script that isn't as adaptable. But this is definitely an excellent idea, and will reduce a LOT of headaches and frustrations in the long run.

We'll have a LOT of things to look forward to once it's released! I'm so excited! ^.=.^