PDA

View Full Version : CodeCademy (Free coding courses)

MikiHeart
01-31-2015, 01:45 AM
I made this wonderful find today.

It's called Code Cademy. It's a site where you can learn how to code for free.

It's set up so that you can learn how to code in the form of a course.

It has it's own code/preview system built right into the course, so you don't need anything extra.

From what I've seen, it's completely free, and it has multiple coding languages to learn as well as learning about APIs.

http://www.codecademy.com

Kyttias
01-31-2015, 06:10 AM
Ah yes, I finally decided to visit there earlier this week and do the lessons. I finished the PHP one and the HTML/CSS one in the same day. It's a nice refresher on stuff if you already know it, too.

The estimated completion time really means nothing if you've already mastered something. A lot of the time was spent on tedious repetition and, on occasion, glitches. (The very last PHP lesson -- put each part of the array on its own line. So long as it's printing out correctly, yes, you're doing it right, it's just not reading it properly, for some reason. As soon as I broke the array into multiple lines, it was happy.)

MikiHeart
01-31-2015, 01:21 PM
I think it's common practice for array's to be on multiple lines.
To make it easier to see and stuff.

Phpbb has theirs on multiple lines and have since phpbb2. (I miss phpbb2 *cries in the corner*)

Kyttias
01-31-2015, 03:21 PM
Ah, it was just odd because none of their examples had ever done it that way.

There's still a lot the courses don't cover, but it definitely gets beginner status out of the way. One should be ready to tackle intermediate projects with some level of ease afterward. ^^

MikiHeart
01-31-2015, 03:48 PM
Yea. I only really wanted to brush up on my skills. I also thought others would find it helpful as well.

I can also learn the basics of Javascript and jquery, which I actually know nothing about, but want to. However, I haven't slept in a long time and my brain isn't making sense of any of it XD

Kyttias
01-31-2015, 04:07 PM
Try jQuery first, you might find it a lot easier. ^^;

rickasawr
02-01-2015, 10:53 AM
codeacademy is bliss. im currently learning php on their aswell as watching some youtube videos on how to code. its very informative!

MikiHeart
02-01-2015, 03:33 PM
I've never looked at coding videos before.
The idea strikes me as weird. It would be like creating a coding tutorial but only using images of the code, and not providing the code it's self.

Kyttias
02-01-2015, 05:12 PM
You could also check out Udacity (https://www.udacity.com/courses#!/all). They have videos, but then it becomes interactive when it asks you to answer questions. (Their videos are shockingly better quality than the ones for the Comp Sci online division coming out of my gf's university course. =| For a sprawling campus with a great lawn, you think their website and online courses could be... well... better.)