PDA

View Full Version : Where are you hosted?

rosepose
03-19-2009, 11:48 AM
I'm looking for a new host that supports domains for my site. I think it's my host that's making the script go weird (specifically their mysql.)

Arvyre, FE, and Mystic grove, your sites seem to work OK. What do you use?

-Rose

Tequila
03-19-2009, 12:25 PM
I'm hosted on Surnaturelle.net, but they don't have readfile() enabled. I've heard Dreamhost is good though. Thinking about moving there just for FE.

rosepose
03-19-2009, 12:38 PM
readfile? So does that meant that your site doesn't work as it should, then?[hr]
And thanks. Surnaturelle doesn't have the space I'm looking for, but Dreamhost looks great :)

Tequila
03-19-2009, 02:30 PM
readfile? So does that meant that your site doesn't work as it should, then?[hr]
And thanks. Surnaturelle doesn't have the space I'm looking for, but Dreamhost looks great :)

It's okay. I signed up with Surnaturelle to host my artwork & design portfolio as well as my project site (currently at http://starduskstudios.net and http://end-day.net respectively). I think I'll be moving to Dreamhost myself.

rosepose
03-19-2009, 03:59 PM
Dreamhost looks really good :)

Seapyramid
03-19-2009, 05:14 PM
MG is hosted with Hostmonster.

rosepose
03-19-2009, 05:21 PM
Thanks :) But I do think it's the script. How strange............... :3 Maybe I'm just installing it wrong or something.

Quillink
03-19-2009, 06:41 PM
We're hosted on hostgator. They only give you problems if your site starts tearing apart their servers. ^^

mimimi
03-20-2009, 11:37 AM
Dreamhost and Hostmonster are REALLY good.
I'm using Hostmonster right now.

rosepose
03-20-2009, 11:40 AM
Great, thanks :)[hr]
It appears it IS my host....

rosepose
03-20-2009, 03:01 PM
Quillink: On hostgator, do you use a shared plan?

rosepose
03-20-2009, 06:00 PM
BMR, what host would you recommend? I have a budget of $10 a month at most :3 And I'll be using the script so it'll be a medium-traffic site.

BMR777
03-20-2009, 06:50 PM
BMR, what host would you recommend? I have a budget of $10 a month at most :3 And I'll be using the script so it'll be a medium-traffic site.

I would recommend a couple of hosts:

It's My Server (http://www.its-my-server.com/) - This host is run by Roger Smiley who is one of the moderators here. It is also where these forums are hosted. I don't know though if it is officially open for business or not as Roger seems to be working on the main website and it doesn't seem complete at this moment.

Dotstrar (http://hosting.dotstrar.com/) - I also recommend this host. This is actually the host I use for my development server, so it would be the exact same server (or very close to it, depending which box you would be on) I use to develop the Adoptables script. Thus, you know the script will work as it is the same server config under which the script was developed. :)

Both are good choices I think. :)

rosepose
03-20-2009, 07:02 PM
How much bandwidth do you think I should get? I've calculated using some online tools that I currently use about 6 GB of bandwidth a month.... So which plan would be the best? I'm currently veering towards Professional on DotStrar...[hr]
Also, how exactly does reseller hosting work on DotStrar? Is the 200,000mb allotted for you, or for everyone on your server (or in other words, is it shared?)

Tequila
03-21-2009, 11:41 AM
This may help with the reseller information Rose: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Reseller_hosting
Or this pulled from HostGator's website:
You have a reseller hosting account control panel called Web Host Manager. WHM is where you go to create your customer accounts. After filling in their account information you click "create." This will instantly set them up with their very own control panel called cPanel. This is where they will go to administer their website. Once they are logged into cPanel they can create subdomains, email addresses, change passwords, and much more without requiring any help from you or us.

Brandon, do you have a code for dotstrar? Something where if you refer a user you get so much off hosting?

rosepose
03-21-2009, 12:42 PM
I joined Dotstrar, now to wait 24 hours :)

And thanks enddayne, that was very helpful.

BMR777
03-21-2009, 02:28 PM
My affiliate link is:
http://hosting.dotstrar.com/cp/aff.php?aff=063

This will give me 10% of any hosting payments for life, so if you want to help me and go with DotStrar then this would be nice. :)

Thanks,
Brandon

rosepose
03-24-2009, 04:28 PM
Erm, I'm registered there and I payed. They told me it'd be 3 days at most until my domain was registered. It's been 4..... *pokes the server*

rosepose
03-25-2009, 06:15 PM
*pokes* BMR, did you have to do anything special when your domain name was registered? Now it's been 5 days and I'm really at a loss to explain this.

BMR777
03-25-2009, 06:29 PM
*pokes* BMR, did you have to do anything special when your domain name was registered? Now it's been 5 days and I'm really at a loss to explain this.

Did you register it through your host or through another company? You might have to change the nameservers of the domain to point to your server.

rosepose
03-25-2009, 07:24 PM
I registered it through dotstrar, and apparently it's still being propagated....[hr]
Erm, should I have bought the domain first, and then the hosting? I bought the hosting plan and they asked me for a domain name, so I just put the one I wanted to have registered in. Their support people aren't getting back to me and I'm very worried :3

BMR777
03-25-2009, 07:50 PM
That's real odd that they're not getting back to you. When did you open a support ticket? Usually they get back to me within 24 hours when I ask something.

I've never had any problems with DotStrar, but I never used their domain registration services, only the hosting. I wonder if domains are handled by a different support staff or something there.

Brandon

rosepose
03-25-2009, 07:54 PM
Yeah.... I sent one ticket 3 days ago and another just now since I think I forgot to add high urgency to my last one.

They asked me for a domain name when I registered and I simply assumed they were going to add that to my plan cost.

*is worried*

-Rose

Ashje
03-26-2009, 12:25 AM
000webhost is very good. =) You can have multiple sites, a blog, an image host, 2 different File Uploaders (So you don't need Smart FTP or anything), MyPHP, etc.