Home Community Mys-Script Creative Off-Topic
Go Back   Mysidia Adoptables Support Forum > AlexC

Notices

Conversation Between AlexC and Hall of Famer
Showing Visitor Messages 21 to 30 of 128
  1. AlexC
    12-10-2012 08:15 PM
    AlexC
    True, it is probably because Mys is an install yourself script that makes it hard... There are ways around everything though, so you never know.

I was thinking something more along the lines of switching to say... buddypress or drupal. Switching the content type completely. I know that is a big thing to do, but its just generally an idea. If it helps to have an example, use this; http://buddypress.org/ (bp is one of my favorite scripts, mys aside) you've got member interaction, support, potential site directories, downloads for both the main script and add-ons, etc, all seemlessly on one website, which allows people to switch between everything easier. I've set up websites with platforms like that before and I've found that communities do function better when they don't need to move between areas that are too different in nature. Again, just an idea, but I'm perfectly willing to set up a test site if you'd like to see how something like that would run.
  2. Hall of Famer
    12-10-2012 06:08 PM
    Hall of Famer
    Yeah I figured, after all BMR's myadopts can stay active without updating the site/script in years. Perhaps its the nature of this script that makes it impossible to repeat MA's popularity, even if I am able to create a much superior product some things will never change. Well am I being way too pessimistic?

umm you mean integrating the site and forum? Maybe updating the forum's theme and banner so they match the main site?

Ah I see, if it is not way too complex I may give a try someday. Many people will find that useful I think.
  3. AlexC
    12-10-2012 06:02 PM
    AlexC
    There may be ways to keep the community updating and stuff without actually posting code updates and that count bring/keep members around. I was half wondering if you would ever consider moving the support forum from an actual forum to maybe a content management system so there is less difference between the main site and the community. Might make it more professional.

It seems pretty easier to do actually, I was having a look at the doppelme thing earlier. It might be a good thing to keep in mind.
  4. Hall of Famer
    12-10-2012 05:53 PM
    Hall of Famer
    If the script gets update more frequently, people are more likely to stay and hang around. Id say it was my fault that Mys v1.3.2 took too long, thats why many people are gone, probably for good.

I see, sounds like you have quite a huge plan. Unfortunately it seems that you cant fulfill your dream now, but sometimes it may not be that bad to take a step back and go for the alternatives. Maybe you will find yourself in an enjoyable situation with a different experience, just stay positive and your life can still shine. ^^

Alright, thats up to you. If you have new suggestions to make feel free doing so. Yeah, it seems to be a good idea to wait a bit longer till you know its completely meaningless to keep waiting.

umm dressing dolls like avatar? Thats indeed interesting, actually in future we may be having a plugin that does similar thing. Not sure when though, it seems somewhat complicated. XD
  5. AlexC
    12-10-2012 05:39 PM
    AlexC
    True, we'd never get anything done if the members couldn't lie without us. And yeah, the general plan was go to university, get a bunch of diplomas/degrees in social issues and politics and stuff, join the RCMP (Royal Canadian Mounted Police), stay for a few years, start my own political party and then eventually resign policing or take a few years break in the off chance I ever got elected somehow. Or just do one or the other, depending on how school went. But apparently that's all gone now, or it will be if this turns out to be what it is.

I'll have to go through and see what everyone's ideas are.

I'll have to see. I'm working on redoing the adoptables, so I don't want the stress of moving hosts added to that, since I'm not the best at it and I don't want to start over and lose members. I'll give it a few days and see.

ALSO, ALSO, I had this totally random idea. I know a few people wwwwaaaaaayyy back mentioned having dressable dolls for avatars, like their own people kinda thing? http://doppelme.com/ This site has the basic thing already set up, and offers technical support on adding the ability for members to customize their own character in place of an avatar or something. Thought I'd mention it.
  6. Hall of Famer
    12-10-2012 05:31 PM
    Hall of Famer
    Well thats what I have to live with, after all this script isnt like MA in which all members are so much dependent on the creator of the script lol. Good to know you will be around more though. Oh you wanted to be a policewoman and politician? Well, that does hurt if it limits your career choices, hopefully you will be able to find a good alternative.

Yeah, thats whats happening so far. I accepted some ideas, rejected a few, and others are still being considered/discussed. Its been a quite interesting process.

umm he hasnt signed on lately, not sure what happened. Perhaps he gets stuck with upgrading PHP, it may not be that easy. Still, I dont even understand why his server was using PHP 5.2 in the very first place, since he told me his own dev site already has PHP 5.4. If he still wont come back with a positive message by Christmas, Id say it will be a good time to move host. You may do it now if you want to, its up to you after all.
  7. AlexC
    12-10-2012 05:24 PM
    AlexC
    really? wow, that's sad. xD well, I'll certainlly try to do a bit more, i'll probably have some free time during christmas break. Thanks, though to be honest, i'm more upset that it kinda limits my career choices. certainly no policing or politics like i wanted now, so i'm pretty pissed about that. its one thing to go from "you probably have depression" to "er... we need to get you checked for schizophrenia" fml for sure.

That's good that we've got suggestions coming in, i imagine people feel a bit more involved and active if their input is being asked. Oh, before I forget, did Nemesis ever get around to updating his servers...? I need to know whether or not I should consider moving hosts at this point.
  8. Hall of Famer
    12-10-2012 05:20 PM
    Hall of Famer
    Oh no worries, you actually already are the most active mod right now. I mean, at least, you dont visit this forum only when you have questions to ask. XD I wish you the best luck irl though, it must be sad to live with unstable mental health.

Not really, its been fine so far. People have been making suggestions to how they want the new ACP to look like, guess I need to take a bit of note lol.
  9. AlexC
    12-10-2012 05:15 PM
    AlexC
    Hello HoF, sorry I disappeared again... some stuff came up concerning my already unstable mental health and I had to take some time off to properly freak out and break down.

Did I miss anything?
  10. Hall of Famer
    12-10-2012 05:07 PM
    Hall of Famer
    Hi there Gloometh, hows everything been with you?