Mysidia Adoptables Support Forum

Mysidia Adoptables Support Forum (http://www.mysidiaadoptables.com/forum/index.php)
-   Questions and Supports (http://www.mysidiaadoptables.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=18)
-   -   Mysidia Installation Tutorials (http://www.mysidiaadoptables.com/forum/showthread.php?t=3532)

AlexC 03-25-2012 08:02 AM

Mysidia Installation Tutorials

Hello new (or returning) members. :3 This is getting posted here instead of in the Tutorial forum because this is generally the first place people go with problems... not overly logical, but it works.

I have provided some tutorials on how to install the site - over time more will be added (in the correct forum) about how to do other things on the site, such as adding adoptables, pages, links, etc.

I know people learn in different ways, so I have provided three different variations - written, screenshot and video. If anyone is having any trouble understanding anything, they can post here and I'll try to answer your questions as quickly as possible.

Click the links or scroll down - whichever you prefer.

[+] Written Version
[+] Screenshot Version
[+] Video Version

AlexC 03-25-2012 08:03 AM

Written Installation Tutorial

If written instructions are your thing, then you're in luck, because a redo of the original install tutorial has now been written. If you'd like, the original is here: Installing the MAS

GETTING STARTED

STEP 1: Download the following programs/scripts: Latest Mysidia Adoptable Script, Latest MyBB Forum Script and FileZilla FTP Program.

STEP 2: Find a host, such as X10hosting or Gemstone Hosting. Sign up and log in once the account is ready.

STEP 3: Go to your control panel and find your section with MySQL Databases. Create one database, and one user - then, if needed, assign the user to the database and give it all permissions.

STEP 4: Go to filezilla and enter in your domain for host and your username and login for the rest - you may have to check your FTP section in your control panel for the login, but most of the time it is the details you have to login or the username you selected. Ignore the port option. Then click connect!

STEP 5: Drag the unzipped contents of the mysidia script into your public_html folder and wait for them to upload.

STEP 6: Once everything is uploaded, go to your FileManager and find your "config.php" file - it will be in the "inc" folder. Select the file and change the permissions to "777". Then go to the "picuploads" folder and do the same to the "gif", "png", "jpg" folders.

STEP 7: Now go to yoursite.com/install. Walk through the install process. Enter in all of the details for the database you created - if you don't know your host, use "localhost", but be sure to check on your database page.

STEP 8: After you're finished, delete the "install" folder from the FileManager. Then go to the "inc" folder and change the permissions for the "config.php" file back to "644".

STEP 9: Go your site now and enjoy! You've installed the script!

BONUS STEPS: Installing the forum! (there will be a complete tutorial in the near future)

STEP 1: Make a directory or folder in your FileManager, name it forum or something along those lines.

STEP 2: Drag the unzipped script into your html_public > "forum" folder in FileZilla and let it upload.

STEP 3: Create a second database and use this to install the forum.

STEP 4: After installing the forum, log in and turn off user registration.

STEP 5: Then go into "inc" > "config_forum.php". Enter in all of the details for your new database. Tada, you should be done!

(I know that was bad - I suck at writing out tutorials - use the video tutorial instead!)

AlexC 03-25-2012 08:04 AM

Screenshot version here - coming soon!

AlexC 03-25-2012 08:05 AM

Video Installation Tutorial

Some people learn best through visuals, so here we've provided a walk-through in video mode.

VIDEO TUTORIAL

More tutorials may be provided at a later date using other hosts if people are having trouble figuring it out. This tutorial is about ten minutes long and shows how to use filezilla, the install wizard, and mysql databases. If followed, you should be able to install the script perfectly. Please excuse the quickness of some parts of awkward editing if seen - I had to dramatically cut the length.

Tequila 03-25-2012 09:05 AM

Great work! I'm pinning this thread until it's no longer accurate. ;3

AlexC 03-25-2012 09:12 AM

I just messaged HoF about that - thanks though! :3 I'll have some more tutorials up as soon as I can.

Tequila 03-25-2012 10:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gloometh (Post 22224)
I just messaged HoF about that - thanks though! :3 I'll have some more tutorials up as soon as I can.

I was just browsing the site and saw it. So no worries. ;3

superdude44 04-21-2012 11:28 AM

when i try to install it i get a 404 error saying that it cannot fine /install/index.php (port80)

Hall of Famer 04-21-2012 11:49 AM

Well this is not a glitch, and I believe you should be able to figure it out as an advanced programmer.

superdude44 04-21-2012 11:59 AM

I never marked that down. i have no knowledge of php. i know css fairly well and i've gotten down HTML great. but i have no memory of marking it down as an advanced php coder. but i really do need help. i am currently very confused..