Thread: Novul
View Single Post
Old 04-18-2015, 01:44 AM
Premium Member

Credits: 91,259
Kyttias is on a distinguished road

I need to start setting myself some deadlines... in addition to code, I need to do art.

I can probably manage one level of one species per day, art-wise. So-- the lines, shading, patterns and genes for just the 'baby' of a species one day, just the 'juvenile' of that species the next day, just the 'adult' of that species on the next, etc...

I'm not sure how many species I want to launch with, either.
  • Four to choose from as starter pets. These pets will be considered 'Common'.
  • One promo code pet that will only be available once per person for the first year of the site, regardless of whether they donate or not. This pet will be considered 'Uncommon'.
  • One pet that is only available on the site's anniversary every year, one per person. This pet will be considered 'Rare'.
  • One pet that is only obtainable from visiting the site for 30 days (on your 30th day you access the site, you will obtain this pet automatically). This pet will be considered 'Uncommon'.
  • Pets that are available every year during certain holiday weeks only. All you have to do is participate in a relatively easy to do activity and you'll be nearly guaranteed to get this pet. These pets will be considered 'Uncommon'.

But my plans don't stop there:
  • I'd like to beta-test one or two Hybrid pets that can only be obtained through breeding. These pets will be considered 'Uncommon' but also notably 'Hybrid'. I'm not sure how I want to handle Hybrid pets breeding yet. Should they even be allowed to have babies at all...? I'm thinking either no, or the offspring will always be the species of the non-Hybrid parent 95% of the time. And if both are Hybrid, they cannot breed at all.
  • Speaking of only obtained through breeding, those who donate a significant amount of money will get a pet only they will ever have. It's babies won't look like it, but will also be considered somewhat rare. I may also do these 'Subspecies' for other limited event pets. These pets will be considered 'Epic', though on the same breeding tier as 'Ultra Rare' and their offspring will be considered 'Rare'.
  • And once a battle system is released, some pets will only be initially obtainable when they are defeated in battle. There's only a small chance they'll want to come stay with you, and you will only ever be able to get one of each kind this way, even if you give the one you got away. These pets will be considered, however, 'Uncommon', usually. Sometimes 'Rare'.
  • Some pets that will be obtainable through a pay shop will be given out in early releases for free to the top players in event contests. Inevitably they will breed enough of them that they will become common for everyone else. For those that didn't place in an event contest, they should be able to purchase them via PayPal after a month has passed (or simply buy one from someone who is breeding, depends on how poor a user is and if they feel that's worthwhile), and will only be for sale for one month. [I also intend on releasing genetics, patterns, and designers.] These monthly event pets will be considered 'Rare'.
  • Speaking of PayPal - luxury pets. Far more expensive than the ones that were given pre-release to contest winners, a luxury pet will be available for an entire year, then replaced with a new pet. Luxury pets will be considered 'Ultra Rare' for their first year of release, then reduced to 'Rare' starting the year after.
  • Kickstarter pets will be very similar to the luxury pets, but will have, as mentioned previously, offspring that only subspecies and not clones of their parents -- in addition, pets from a Kickstarter will not have their rarity ever reduced. This effectively means Kickstarter pets are on the same tier as the 'Ultra Rare' luxury pets for breeding purposes and you will always have a 50-50 chance of getting either the subspecies of the Kickstarter pet or a clone of the luxury pet. Very profitable for breeders who have money to spend and great for users who don't because it'll give them a chance to one day obtain these pets.

Basically:
Common -- Free pets, Wild pets
Uncommon -- Pets always available with Aurum, Easy to obtain holiday/event pets, Special wild pets, Hybrids, Rare Subspecies Offspring
Rare -- Hard holiday/event pets, Monthly PayPal-only pets, Old Luxury pets, Hard to obtain wild pets, UltraRare/Kickstarter Subspecies Offspring
UltraRare -- Current year's Luxury PayPal-only pets, Kickstarter pets

I don't know the exact percentages yet, but during breeding, the more common species will always show up more often. If two parents are on the same breeding tier, the babies will be 50-50 and take after either parent.

Anyway! I digress...

I still don't know when I'm going to launch. I've both coding and art to do, aha. I'll get back to you when I've made a scheduled blocked out for myself. If I can stick to it, then, maybe I'll have an estimated release date.

Last edited by Kyttias; 04-18-2015 at 01:46 AM.