Thread: Egg Generator
View Single Post
Old 05-01-2013, 09:11 AM

Credits: 5,155
bobbybig is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hall of Famer View Post
Well Id say writing a cronjob code will be the better idea. Many users here will not be able to set up cronjobs from cpanel, even when I got started 3 years ago it took me a while to figure out. Considering some are actually struggling with ftp, it is a better practice to keep it as simple and convenient for users as possible.

There is a problem with cronjob code though, as they are only executed if a visitor(either human or bot) browses your site. For popular sites, it should not be a problem. For upstart sites, make sure you do not use way too frequent scheduled task at 1min or below.
agreed. The code would be perfect as it only needs to fill a egg page that users need to look at. So only filling it when they look is great. Yes I know about the skill ratio of those who on average use the source hence why I mentioned the auto code as it was the better option, and like you said would only need to fire off when a visitor goes to look at the egg page. That itself would cut down on the server use and cronjobs that fire off. Hosts get upset about cronjobs that fire off too much. I will see what I have in way of sample code laying around. I am pretty sure I have one that fires off at set time or restarts the set time when a visitor shows up. I will see what I got.