Thread: Hello there! :3
View Single Post
Old 04-07-2014, 02:39 PM
Premium Member

Credits: 88,536
Kyttias is on a distinguished road

Nice, nice. What you have that I don't is clearly money - I've got no college experience. Everyone dreams of going in and popping out with an amazing job, but all they tend to pop out with is a lot of debt. I'd rather work a shitty job and not be in debt until I feel stable. I think I'll do college in like ~4 years, at the rate I'm going. Sooner, if mother still agrees to chip in. (The good news: the tech industry is a lot like the art industry, in that, if you can show off a snazzy portfolio, it can speak just as much volume as a degree. And being self taught, I'll be able to get into college and hopefully understand things enough to breeze through.)

But speaking of not having money - I've got a ton of experience with free hosting. Enough to go 'nope, no more' and I learned how to make my laptop into a web server. I didn't have a cPanel go-between, but full access to my PHP and Apache config files on top of having direct access to the MySQL database. Other than a few small CMS (and rather than Wordpress and Joomla I tend to stick to smaller ones with bare minimum features that are rarely heard of - mostly because I wanted more control over things and to observe how they were built), I also had experience with PHPBB - version 2, specifically, and a lot of mods. I had a pretty sweet NulAvatar setup but then free hosting magically deleted all my files when I hadn't logged in for a month. And that's about when I decided, no, no more free hosting.

I still really like a lot of mods for PHPBB2 but I often hear 'don't use it, it's not secure'. But I feel I shouldn't have to rely on official releases to make my own custom security on a site that doesn't even look like it's built with PHPBB2. If people don't know what something's built with, that alone should help a lot. If people don't start making awesome mods for PHPBB3 soon, I'm probably going to look into exactly what's so insecure about 2 and seeing what people have done to fix it. I assume there's some fix, and that's why so many mods don't have clones or updated versions for 3.

I use my Twitter largely just for web development stuff so it by itself it's probably boring (but maybe interesting to a fellow developer?) - Kyttias there as well. (Would prefer direct messages, and I believe that requires a mutual follow?)

I may take you up on the texting offer from your other post, but my phone is very much circa ~2009 "look at me I have a flip out keyboard for the first time ever". . . . *chin in hand* . . . money, again. I really should get a smartphone, it's probably my next largest expenditure. But hey, it's Verizon with unlimited texting, at least?

Last edited by Kyttias; 04-07-2014 at 02:51 PM.