Thread: Is OOP better
View Single Post
Old 09-01-2015, 07:08 PM

Credits: 17,006
Kesstryl is on a distinguished road

Hall Of Famer Don't worry, I started this off by stating that this is not a poke at Mysidia. I understand that OOP does make pages of code easier for other (OOP) programmers to follow and contribute. I do think some things might be better, just like Kytias said with using classes for database calls, something you will use over and over and over again. I know the era of procedural code is pretty much over, except in beginner coding classes or books.

However, all the things that are argued as being pro-OOP, you can have with procedural code. I know of several MVC frameworks (albeit micro and not full on ones like Codeigniter) that use pure procedural code with not one class. You can have re-usable code with the use of functions. Heck I've even seen blocks of html echoed in functions (not classes, just plain and easy to understand functions) and then included on webpages to piece together the header, footer, and navbar with a main content page. Modular, MVC, re-usable, all can be done procedurally if the code is well organized (and yes I also love commented code, comments are A++). I think Kyttias hit every peeve I've been having with OOP. When overused it does make the code so much more complicated than it needs to be. I'll get there with learning it, but sometimes I want to throw my computer out the window with it.

Kyttias thanks for the link to that page, I knew there was a performance hit with OOP, but that's a lot more than the "minimal" hit I was led to believe.

Last edited by Kesstryl; 09-01-2015 at 07:10 PM.