Thread: Novul
View Single Post
Old 11-13-2014, 05:05 AM
Premium Member

Credits: 86,992
Kyttias is on a distinguished road

Modals, tooltips and popovers are three different, though similar, animals. *(What's the difference?)

I'm familiar with Flight Rising's glitchy bugs with all three of these. They just don't like being dismissed - usually when you try to open a new one of one type while one of another type is already open. I run into this a lot trying to sell dragons on the Auction House, for whatever reason. However, this is an example of poorly implemented coding, not necessarily poor design overall. Flight Rising is still in closed beta, and one of their lead coders was hit by a vehicle and has spent the better part of the year hospitalized. It's understandable that even fixing basic typos has been a struggle for them - only so many of their team has access to, let alone understands, what's going on behind the scenes to fix the problems at hand.

While it's actually possible to implement mobile-friendly touch tooltips (the standard is to make sure the tooltips are hide-able by a double-click, while the first click opens the tooltip, the second will closes it), my plan is actually to have entirely different layout on both shop and inventory pages on devices with a width smaller than 1024px. This doesn't just have to do with the information on the tooltip being hard to pull up, but the fact my shopkeeper NPCs just won't have room to exist -- yet they will be both quest starters and objectives. I'll be sure to carefully playtest tooltip issues.

I try to make as much of my content as I can mobile-first so it's ready right away, but some of the more complicated features will take their sweet time. ^^;