View Single Post
Old 03-27-2014, 12:37 AM

Credits: 4,339
Zyraph is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikiHeart View Post
Haven't read the thread, too many pages XD

But.. What about an MCP?

Moderation has to be implanted at some point. It's actually really important.
Ability to report pet names, stuff on a users profile, user abuse.
If adding a new system, or forum (Hopefully we'll get the latter apart of the script at some point <33. Still hoping), the ability to report comments and posts.

I also think that there should be a section where staff can view private messages. (Yes, I know, some people go "That's invasion of Privacy!" But if you have a dispute between users, you want to be able to see what was said. No he said she said. Also, it's actually common practice and I would recommend it. (Don't think that Neopets isn't reading everything you send through your site. You start pedoing and I bet they'll be on you like a hawk!)

Moderation is extremely important, and having mod levels is better than giving them admin levels. I'd rather have 10 mods under me doing all the little things, then risk giving them access to important things O_O
I can kinda agree with this, and I do believe something like this needs to be implemented. However, I do not believe admins need access to every PM. Moderation is an issue that should always be taken very seriously, but to compromise freedoms just because of moderation isn't exactly what most administrators should have in mind.

I propose a middle ground. This is something implemented in most forum systems that actually are up to scratch, but I'd say what needs to be implemented is a report function in general. Not just for pet names, and not just for user accounts. One that is able to call attention to pretty much anything, be it posts, PMs, users, pretty much whatever anyone has entered at one point in time, can be reported. Basically, a feature that, once someone is reported, all information about them can be viewed easily (except PMs, those must be reported on a case-by-case basis). If someone reports a PM from a user, the moderators can see the entire PM chain, with the offending/reported PM highlighted.

This would make sure it's not just "oh, this is what the user said," it's so we can get entire context. Sometimes, it's not just about a quote. Those can be misconstrued, especially in a very limited media such as text. We need context before making an unbiased opinion, and possible ruling, so I'd say something like this would be a greater need than simply seeing all PMs ever created. Plus, it cuts down on unneeded queries to the database. Sure, maybe a few hundred PMs wouldn't be so bad, but if you get thousands (or hundreds of thousands, like through DragonAdopters) and you'd not know what to look for.

I used to be a moderator for DrA, and then disappeared after the second year of operation or so. I also used to run the IRC channel it had. That's why I know some things on this ;3 Also, to my knowledge, DrA had a specific reporting function that worked with a "Report Forum." It would assign the reporter in a thread, quoting and linking an offending post or PM. This made moderation very simple, as we could easily decide on what to do for moderation, and talk to other mods in that thread. No user could ever see that thread unless they were a moderator, and even the reporter didn't have access, though we would PM the reporter to let them know the situation was handled. Maybe if we had a similar system we could implement, that would be very awesome.

EDIT: Also thought of an idea that would totally be awesome. Not sure if it's been mentioned/planned already, but how about URL shortener/API support? Like, for YOURLs or any kind of URL shortener. Some have their own API, and if there was a way to integrate that in, we could make shorter links to the adoptable pages, user pages, etc. I think it'd be epic!

Last edited by Zyraph; 04-05-2014 at 11:01 PM. Reason: Added idea: URL shortener/API support.