View Single Post
Old 03-03-2014, 07:47 PM

Credits: 19,256
IntoRain is on a distinguished road

That's a hard question. People have different methods of learning, it really depends on what you enjoy. The first thing I programmed that taught me something (actually made me work, study and enjoy) was a sliding puzzle (ASCII, no graphics). Previously I had done some exercises (small exercises involving math formulas and strings - basically how everyone starts) to get used to the basics.

I do not know how to get started in a web language. What we had to do in a class for web (in php) was very boring and all around sending forms, showing the result of a form and making login/logout forms. I got used to mysidia and php because after learning a C-like programming language with OOP concepts you pick up all others quite fast.
Maybe watching youtube tutorials (the quick 10minutelong each video ones, not the 5 hour each video ones) and trying to build a site you like (or even trying to mod mysidia's script meanwhile, little things) would help you, since it's web you really want. And maybe follow HoF's tutorials here as well.

And don't worry, I couldn't start programming anything useful for a year and a half! lol It's very easy to just quit when things go wrong or the result isn't as expected, but if you try hard to solve a bug it will make you feel wonderful and ready for more! Even now, I feel it's very stressing and it still intimidates me, but you feel really accomplished when it works.

asp.net stole my soul.