View Single Post
Old 04-03-2014, 05:04 PM

Credits: 4,389
Zyraph is on a distinguished road

Integration with phpBB3 is possible, but will be a lot more possible once 1.4 rolls out. The other thing is, phpBB is also very close to releasing an update of their own which is version 3.1. They are in Beta 2 at the moment of this posting (they're pushing updates rapidly now).

The trouble is, with both the forum software and Mysidia having updates in the near future, it's very hard to figure out which one to try to bridge as a source first. For some people, they installed Mysidia first, while others installed the forum software first. It's a classic case of the chicken or the egg first, and neither result is pretty, at least at the moment.

Once phpBB hits 3.1 and Mysidia hits 1.4, I think then we can safely say that we can work on some sort of bridge between the two. Until that time, however, development should be concentrated on each one separately.

Also, really, you shouldn't be using phpBB2. It's not just a question of security. It's also a question of long-term support, and soon PHP 5.3 will be the standard. As phpBB2 was not built for 5.3, the forums will eventually break entirely, so it's highly recommended that you upgrade to phpBB3 as soon as you can, because it's not just the MODs that won't work at that point.

For the record though, I'll probably not bother with a bridge between those two. What I'll be doing is having OctoberCMS take over registration, and then creating a single sign-on portion that will actually allow for an account to be generated on both Mysidia and phpBB just by registering through October. Which will be interesting, really...this will be my first time really getting my hands dirty with PHP, so I'll need to work extra hard at it :3