Mysidia Adoptables Support Forum  

Home Community Mys-Script Creative Off-Topic
Go Back   Mysidia Adoptables Support Forum > Community Board > Newcomer Center

Notices

Old 04-07-2014, 09:47 AM

Credits: 4,291
Zyraph is on a distinguished road

I can already tell you're going to be epic as far as a friend and as a person who actually knows what they're doing with programming! I'm really happy that I came on this site now!

I did go to college and learned very little about web development (my classes were more focused on VB.NET and C/C++, and I didn't learn too much with either). I've had experience with setting up quite a few PHP-based forums (http://forum.dragonglit.ch/viewtopic...573a54cfb3612d for reference), though I've also installed Drupal, Joomla, Wordpress, and quite a few others, even without using Softaculous. I had my own forums when I was a freshman in high school. I used an odd form of IRC when my oldest brother got WebTV when I was in the 7th grade, and that got me interested in IRC when my family got an actual computer (I'm also thinking of getting an IRC channel but that's going to be in the future).

I was always interested in programming, but it was more of a hobby type of thing. Which is why I didn't do so well in college, to the point I just changed my major looking for something easy but still fulfilling. Didn't find much, and dropped out after four years, with some knowledge of things that were quite interested. During the time, I was also a moderator for DragonAdopters, and ran their IRC channel. I had a few people on my staff, and worked my way up to moderating the forums, though I really just preferred working on things relating to the IRC channel at the time (that was so much easier than anything I was doing in college).

Most things for programming, I was self-taught (I did learn a few things about HTML in college, but it was trivial since I'd learned CSS due to deviantART's journal system). What I've learned, I've still not quite mastered, however. I can do edits in PHP, but not write my own code. Though that part comes with managing my own installations of things for at least 6 years. I was more of a hobbyist tinkerer, until now. Now I've actually started shelling out money for some of the things I'm trying to get set up (I got three domain names and decent hosting for a year, so...ya...X3).

Also, I do love your style of drawing! I'd love to see what you could do for a dragon with a little drawing practice and a lot of spare time! And if there's anything you want set up for your site, I could try to give you a hand (I'm not great at coding, but I know my way around cPanel and MySQL databases) :3 I'm usually reachable by Twitter or through a text, though I also have Skype, but I can't use it too much because it kills my internet (I'm on 3G for home internet, and I'm constantly throttled. I'm apparently in the top 5% of highest usage X3)

My Twitter
Site Twitter
Old 04-07-2014, 02:39 PM
Premium Member

Credits: 86,971
Kyttias is on a distinguished road

Nice, nice. What you have that I don't is clearly money - I've got no college experience. Everyone dreams of going in and popping out with an amazing job, but all they tend to pop out with is a lot of debt. I'd rather work a shitty job and not be in debt until I feel stable. I think I'll do college in like ~4 years, at the rate I'm going. Sooner, if mother still agrees to chip in. (The good news: the tech industry is a lot like the art industry, in that, if you can show off a snazzy portfolio, it can speak just as much volume as a degree. And being self taught, I'll be able to get into college and hopefully understand things enough to breeze through.)

But speaking of not having money - I've got a ton of experience with free hosting. Enough to go 'nope, no more' and I learned how to make my laptop into a web server. I didn't have a cPanel go-between, but full access to my PHP and Apache config files on top of having direct access to the MySQL database. Other than a few small CMS (and rather than Wordpress and Joomla I tend to stick to smaller ones with bare minimum features that are rarely heard of - mostly because I wanted more control over things and to observe how they were built), I also had experience with PHPBB - version 2, specifically, and a lot of mods. I had a pretty sweet NulAvatar setup but then free hosting magically deleted all my files when I hadn't logged in for a month. And that's about when I decided, no, no more free hosting.

I still really like a lot of mods for PHPBB2 but I often hear 'don't use it, it's not secure'. But I feel I shouldn't have to rely on official releases to make my own custom security on a site that doesn't even look like it's built with PHPBB2. If people don't know what something's built with, that alone should help a lot. If people don't start making awesome mods for PHPBB3 soon, I'm probably going to look into exactly what's so insecure about 2 and seeing what people have done to fix it. I assume there's some fix, and that's why so many mods don't have clones or updated versions for 3.

I use my Twitter largely just for web development stuff so it by itself it's probably boring (but maybe interesting to a fellow developer?) - Kyttias there as well. (Would prefer direct messages, and I believe that requires a mutual follow?)

I may take you up on the texting offer from your other post, but my phone is very much circa ~2009 "look at me I have a flip out keyboard for the first time ever". . . . *chin in hand* . . . money, again. I really should get a smartphone, it's probably my next largest expenditure. But hey, it's Verizon with unlimited texting, at least?

Last edited by Kyttias; 04-07-2014 at 02:51 PM.
Old 04-07-2014, 04:00 PM

Credits: 19,258
IntoRain is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zyraph View Post
I can already tell you're going to be epic as far as a friend and as a person who actually knows what they're doing with programming! I'm really happy that I came on this site now!

I did go to college and learned very little about web development (my classes were more focused on VB.NET and C/C++, and I didn't learn too much with either). I've had experience with setting up quite a few PHP-based forums (http://forum.dragonglit.ch/viewtopic...573a54cfb3612d for reference), though I've also installed Drupal, Joomla, Wordpress, and quite a few others, even without using Softaculous. I had my own forums when I was a freshman in high school. I used an odd form of IRC when my oldest brother got WebTV when I was in the 7th grade, and that got me interested in IRC when my family got an actual computer (I'm also thinking of getting an IRC channel but that's going to be in the future).

I was always interested in programming, but it was more of a hobby type of thing. Which is why I didn't do so well in college, to the point I just changed my major looking for something easy but still fulfilling. Didn't find much, and dropped out after four years, with some knowledge of things that were quite interested. During the time, I was also a moderator for DragonAdopters, and ran their IRC channel. I had a few people on my staff, and worked my way up to moderating the forums, though I really just preferred working on things relating to the IRC channel at the time (that was so much easier than anything I was doing in college).

Most things for programming, I was self-taught (I did learn a few things about HTML in college, but it was trivial since I'd learned CSS due to deviantART's journal system). What I've learned, I've still not quite mastered, however. I can do edits in PHP, but not write my own code. Though that part comes with managing my own installations of things for at least 6 years. I was more of a hobbyist tinkerer, until now. Now I've actually started shelling out money for some of the things I'm trying to get set up (I got three domain names and decent hosting for a year, so...ya...X3).

Also, I do love your style of drawing! I'd love to see what you could do for a dragon with a little drawing practice and a lot of spare time! And if there's anything you want set up for your site, I could try to give you a hand (I'm not great at coding, but I know my way around cPanel and MySQL databases) :3 I'm usually reachable by Twitter or through a text, though I also have Skype, but I can't use it too much because it kills my internet (I'm on 3G for home internet, and I'm constantly throttled. I'm apparently in the top 5% of highest usage X3)

My Twitter
Site Twitter
Sorry to poke through you guy's conversation, but I just wanna say it's pretty normal to end up in college for programming because of previous web experience (if I understood your post correctly). I thought I was programming when I was doing html/css blogs, so I went down the road for programming in college as well. A few months in and I was struggling with C, C++ and assembly. It took me a year and a half to start enjoying and understanding it (I failed a lot of classes and I still struggle sometimes!) and out of 30 total classes, only 2 were actually web-related. I just wanted to say it is a common mistake to confuse html/css with programming, and it's actually good you didn't go with it, the course would just ruin your interest for web, it did completely ruin the fun I had with it for me.

(again sorry to poke through...)

asp.net stole my soul.
Old 04-07-2014, 04:50 PM
Premium Member

Credits: 86,971
Kyttias is on a distinguished road

You're absolutely right, HTML is a markup scripting language, not a programming language. I have done a little bit of actual programming in a game development class I took (it dabbled the basics and differences between the C languages and Java), as well as through Flash's Actionscript language. I retained enough of it all to say it taught me the basics of programming as far as functions/objects/conditional statements go, stuff that can carry over into various languages, despite some slight structure differences (would grammar be a good analogy, ahaha?).

Javascript is programmatic, and it's where my interests truly lie at the moment. Both AS and JS are very forgiving in comparison to other languages. I just can't seem to get a hang of the way object-orientated PHP is formatted, though. (PHP without the objects, totally fine, but without taking full advantage of it's ability to work with objects, I end up treating it like a glorified HTML with some conditional properties.) It's a lot to memorize, so it's sitting on back burner for now. I don't want to learn too many things in too many areas at once.

I'm sorry to hear taking college courses has sucked the fun out of things for you. It's another thing I want to avoid. ><; My gf is in that same situation... she's super interested in artificial intelligence, but the stress of university just sucks the passion out of it.

Last edited by Kyttias; 04-07-2014 at 04:54 PM.
Old 04-07-2014, 06:38 PM

Credits: 19,258
IntoRain is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyttias View Post
You're absolutely right, HTML is a markup scripting language, not a programming language. I have done a little bit of actual programming in a game development class I took (it dabbled the basics and differences between the C languages and Java), as well as through Flash's Actionscript language. I retained enough of it all to say it taught me the basics of programming as far as functions/objects/conditional statements go, stuff that can carry over into various languages, despite some slight structure differences (would grammar be a good analogy, ahaha?).

Javascript is programmatic, and it's where my interests truly lie at the moment. Both AS and JS are very forgiving in comparison to other languages. I just can't seem to get a hang of the way object-orientated PHP is formatted, though. (PHP without the objects, totally fine, but without taking full advantage of it's ability to work with objects, I end up treating it like a glorified HTML with some conditional properties.) It's a lot to memorize, so it's sitting on back burner for now. I don't want to learn too many things in too many areas at once.

I'm sorry to hear taking college courses has sucked the fun out of things for you. It's another thing I want to avoid. ><; My gf is in that same situation... she's super interested in artificial intelligence, but the stress of university just sucks the passion out of it.
Yeah, it is! Usually C-like languages are easy to pick up after you learn another one! And the logic almost always stays with you. Java though does some magical stuff for you that makes everything easier and faster to code than say C++

Javascript I don't really know much of it but I do have fun with it when I gotta do something with it! I have no doubt though that JS will be the most wanted language for web-related businesses in the long run, if it isn't already lol
From scratch, I also don't use php with objects, even though I've worked with object-oriented languages. In mysidia though since the frame is already built, I get the logic and go with it.

Yeah, it's mostly the stress and the "you gotta do this to pass, not because you want to do it" of classes. I'm actually going to have an artificial intelligence exam this wednesday, but I'm not liking the class at all. This was one of those classes I was truly hoping to go great and hoping to like it, but nope. Even watching the MIT's open course for that area doesn't help me understand the class. It sounds so awesome and it has so many interesting parts, but it just doesn't click with me. And I still have one more class on this next year, I'm getting quite worried xD

Don't get me wrong, I do enjoy programming and finishing a project and feeling like I actually contributed to it, I might hate it throughout the semester but I end up loving it if I actually feel like I gave it my best. But all areas I was looking forward to haven't really been what I was expecting, so it kinda ruined it for me. Taking your time and becoming better in an area you like on your own and just then taking up college for credentials purposes makes it impossible for classes to ruin that passion after you have pursued it alone before. It's just my opinion on it though

asp.net stole my soul.

Last edited by IntoRain; 04-07-2014 at 07:02 PM.
Old 04-07-2014, 10:15 PM

Credits: 4,291
Zyraph is on a distinguished road

You both bring up some amazing points about college and it's something I wish I had known when I was kinda being forced to go the college route before truly knowing where my passions were. I liked programming: I made my own few scripts through mIRC, but it wasn't with a true scripting language, just something that kinda somehow resembled C.

I should not have gone to college just out of high school. My family did pressure me to go ahead into college, so I went with it, and I really regret it (my loans from it are devastating, and I still don't actually have a job, I just know how to manage money when I acquire it). Honestly, when I get my site running, I want to be able to get the money back that I invested into it, but not much else unless it becomes that big of a success (mainly because I'd probably start actually paying developers for their time, but that's if it truly becomes successful).

HTML is definitely not in the same category of traditional programming languages. VB.NET, Java, C/C++, Python, Perl, all of these have a common core of functions they share as far as programming. HTML has nothing remotely close in concept. All you get are some tags and that's how you're defining things. VB.NET doesn't use tags like that, the only time you "tag" something into brackets is with your own functions or If/Then/Else.

Also, I know exactly who you're talking about when your things magically got deleted after a month, Kyttias. I used them for awhile, and admittedly used them to get my code set up before I transferred to A Small Orange (Amazing hosting, though they only really limit you on bandwidth and storage space, I only have 250MB storage right now). I went with their tiny plan which is $35 for an entire year of hosting. What I needed was unlimited subdomains while still allowing for at least 2 domains linked to a package, and it's got pretty much unlimited everything except space and bandwidth, so I can't complain...yet.

The reason why people are saying to go with phpBB3 is because they're starting to transition to a more fluid and dynamic way of programming (they're using a few different frameworks, including Symphony). Once 4.0 hits, it'll be completely converted to the new frameworks, and anything for 2.0 will be virtually unupgradeable as far as mods, at least not without extensive coding background with both versions.

Honestly, I really, really love programming! I'm just not always great at learning on my own as far as structured tutorials, and school was just a waste for me on it. I did learn a LOT about Windows 7 however, and even got certified for it by Microsoft, though I probably could've gone about it on my own for far cheaper.

Kyttias, I'll make sure to follow you on Twitter, and I have unlimited texts too, though I use Google Voice for that (sooooo much easier to multitask simply because I can have a screen just for my texts on my computer and a screen for whatever I'm working on) :3 And I can do DMs through Twitter, though if you see some things that seem a bit odd, it's because I'm random...and sometimes not always civil on my personal one. Though the site one will be as clean as I can make it ;3

Tags