Mysidia Adoptables Support Forum  

Home Community Mys-Script Creative Off-Topic
Go Back   Mysidia Adoptables Support Forum > Mysidia Adoptables > Questions and Supports

Notices

Old 03-30-2017, 11:49 AM

Credits: 63,645
Dinocanid is on a distinguished road
Default Domain name change?

Not exactly a question about mys script, but I plan to store some money away so I can eventually get a domain for my site. (Probably in the summer or something, when I have time for commissions) However, I have no idea how it works. Would I just use a redirect or would all of the files have to be moved to another server?
Old 03-30-2017, 07:42 PM
A Headache Embodied

Credits: 111,683
Abronsyth is on a distinguished road

That depends on your host. Some hosts have free transfer options and will simply move everything under the new domain no problem, but if the host doesn't offer that option then you'll need to manually move everything over (zip files are a blessing).
Old 05-13-2017, 03:29 PM

So if I wanted to change my domain name but keep mysidiahost, would I use the redirect option in cPanel? This is what it looks like:

I've got more questions too:
1. I'm guessing users who enter the old URL will just automatically be redirected to the new one?
2. Will files still need to be moved in this case? If so, where? Since I'm not changing servers

This is my first time ever doing this, so I don't want to mess anything up.

Last edited by Dinocanid; 05-13-2017 at 05:03 PM.
Old 05-15-2017, 08:04 AM
A Headache Embodied

Credits: 111,683
Abronsyth is on a distinguished road

With mysidiahost right now I do not believe there is a way to use a domain name, so you would likely have to use a different host and transfer over.

A redirect simply makes it so if a user goes to "example.com" then it redirects them to "redirect.com." So if you have a redirect set up for your site on mysidiahost you can, I believe, have it redirect to the new domain. This won't help with transferring data or anything, though.
Old 05-15-2017, 08:50 AM

What server hosting do you recommend then? I was looking at namecheap since I can't afford anything too expensive and I don't have much traffic either. ($10 .com domain for a whole year) I've heard of 000webhost, but I need a server that allows uploading multiple files at once or at least zip files. (Uploading one at a time is a serious pain)
Old 05-15-2017, 12:04 PM
Premium Member

Credits: 86,968
Kyttias is on a distinguished road

I'm currently using Hostinger without too many problems - but you get what you pay for, and I'm still in development, so I don't mind. There are times when my site is perfectly accessible but my backend is slow as mud while I'm trying to develop. It's still a step up from free hosting -- for two very big reasons: One, free hosting is more shared than even the cheapest paid hosting, and on free hosting, they're more likely to shut you down if you run a website that remotely looks like it could be a game or have any chatting or e-mailing functionality. Cross 000webhost off your list immediately, they're not a good fit for Mysidia. And two, free hosts like that will literally remove your site if you forget to login for a month. You can't take any breaks. At all.

If you don't want to settle on a domain name yet, just go for a .tk - they're free and the only trouble I had was when I forgot to renew my free year and then I had to buy my name back.

To point domains to hosting, what you really name access to are the namservers. I'm not using the Mysidia hosting, so I don't know what their cpanel looks like, but... I feel that a 301 redirect and masking won't be enough, not with how finicky the framework itself is about how urls need to be formatted. I mean, its worth a shot, and as I said, the .tk domain is at least a free way to try it out -- all the functionality is the same as a real .com!