Mysidia Adoptables Support Forum  

Home Community Mys-Script Creative Off-Topic
Go Back   Mysidia Adoptables Support Forum > Community Board > Feedback and Suggestions

Notices

Old 04-15-2015, 04:30 AM

Credits: 1,358
missie is on a distinguished road
Exclamation Need help!

I used the forum tutorials and successfully installed the script! Or, at least, I think so ...

When I try to reach the site, I get this error message:

Parse error: syntax error, unexpected T_STRING in /home/a5842023/public_html/classes/resource/native/objective.php on line 3

This is the "objective.php"

PHP Code:
<?php

namespace Resource\Native;

/**
 * The Objective Interface, it is the interface that all Mysidia classes should implement minus a few special cases.
 * It defines a standard interface for Mysidia Objects, the root class Object also implements this interface.
 * This interface is very useful for classes that extend from PHP's built-in classes, as they cannot extend from root Object Class.
 * By Implementing Objective interface, objects of the specific class can be used in Collections Framework.
 * @category Resource
 * @package Native
 * @author Hall of Famer 
 * @copyright Mysidia Adoptables Script
 * @link http://www.mysidiaadoptables.com
 * @since 1.3.3
 * @todo Not much at this point.
 */

interface Objective{

/**
     * The equals method, checks whether target object is equivalent to this one.
     * @param Objective  $object     
     * @access public
     * @return Boolean
     */

public function equals(Objective $object);

/**
     * The getClassName method, returns class name of an instance. 
     * The return value may differ depending on child classes. 
     * @access public
     * @return String
     */    

public function getClassName();

/**
     * Magic method to_String() for Object class, returns object information.
     * @access public
     * @return String
     */    

public function __toString(); 
}
?>

Please help!!!
Old 04-15-2015, 10:35 AM
Premium Member

Credits: 86,942
Kyttias is on a distinguished road

What host are you on?
What version of PHP is your host using?
Other than your database username and password, which we don't need, can you post a copy of your inc/config.php file?

I've actually not seen anyone get this particular problem on a new install before before. I certainly don't see a T_STRING error there.
Old 04-15-2015, 11:19 AM
Administrator, Lead Coder

Credits: 327,351
Hall of Famer is on a distinguished road

It seems that your webhost is not using PHP 5.3+, the T_STRING error clearly indicates that the server engine cannot tell the keyword 'namespace', which was added in PHP 5.3.0. If your server is running with PHP 5.2, you will have to upgrade or to move to a different host. In general, most shared webhosts allow clients to select the PHP version they can use, ranging from PHP 5.2 to PHP 5.5. If you cannot make the choice, you will have to move.

Mysidia Adoptables, a free and ever-improving script for aspiring adoptables/pets site.
Old 04-15-2015, 11:34 AM
Premium Member

I figured that could be a possibility, but it's surprising, considering PHP 5.3 launched in 2009. What host would have such an outdated version? Is there anything else it could possibly be, if that's not the case?
Old 04-15-2015, 01:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hall of Famer View Post
It seems that your webhost is not using PHP 5.3+, the T_STRING error clearly indicates that the server engine cannot tell the keyword 'namespace', which was added in PHP 5.3.0. If your server is running with PHP 5.2, you will have to upgrade or to move to a different host. In general, most shared webhosts allow clients to select the PHP version they can use, ranging from PHP 5.2 to PHP 5.5. If you cannot make the choice, you will have to move.
I checked and it is 5.2 indeed... I used 000webhost and it only provides that for free hosting. I feel so stuck. Any suggestions on where to move...?
Old 04-15-2015, 02:16 PM
Administrator, Lead Coder

Credits: 327,351
Hall of Famer is on a distinguished road

I believe on 000webhost you can change the PHP version, send a support ticket and they will do it for you. If it takes them too long to reply and you cannot wait, you may try moving to x10hosting. Note for some people, you will need to change a part of the code to have it work on x10hosting, but lettuce know once you get to that point.

Mysidia Adoptables, a free and ever-improving script for aspiring adoptables/pets site.
Old 04-15-2015, 02:59 PM
Premium Member

000webhost also has strict rules, and it would be against their terms of service to install Mysidia - it is a game (no game scripts, rule 7) and has a shoutbox (no chat scripts, rule 5). If you disable the chat box and put up a notice big and large that your site is in development only and you plan on acquiring paid hosting through them eventually, then they might be willing to let your site stay up. I'd contact someone on their official forums to ask questions.

Last edited by Kyttias; 04-15-2015 at 03:02 PM.
Old 04-15-2015, 03:02 PM

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hall of Famer View Post
I believe on 000webhost you can change the PHP version, send a support ticket and they will do it for you. If it takes them too long to reply and you cannot wait, you may try moving to x10hosting. Note for some people, you will need to change a part of the code to have it work on x10hosting, but lettuce know once you get to that point.
Thank you so much!! x10hosting didn't work because of my country, but I actually did some more research and made my new site in Biz.nf and it seems to be working great! I'll let you know if I find myself in trouble again, haha. Thanx!
Old 04-15-2015, 03:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyttias View Post
000webhost also has strict rules, and it would be against their terms of service to install Mysidia - it is a game (no game scripts, rule 7) and has a shoutbox (no chat scripts, rule 5). If you disable the chat box and put up a notice big and large that your site is in development only and you plan on acquiring paid hosting through them eventually, then they might be willing to let your site stay up. I'd contact someone on their official forums to ask questions.
Oh gosh am I glad that it didn't work out, it would have been so much trouble! Thank you for letting me know!