Mysidia Adoptables Support Forum  

Home Community Mys-Script Creative Off-Topic
Go Back   Mysidia Adoptables Support Forum > Mysidia Adoptables > Questions and Supports

Notices

Old 12-04-2012, 11:04 AM
WebMaster

Credits: 9,934
powerchaos
Send a message via AIM to powerchaos Send a message via MSN to powerchaos
Default php 5.2 error

hi,
i downloaded this script and it seems that it is not even close to compitable with php 5.2.x

as a suggestion i can update to php 5.3 , but i got my reasons why i do want to stay at php 5.2

to solve this issue i edited a few things in the script to see if i could make it work on php 5.2

but almost all code in the script is written for php 5.3 , a example is the getTimestamp();

because of those codes would i like to ask if you can make a version that is compitable with php 5.2 or that you can provide me a early version that is written for php 5.2

to give a other example
Code:
Fatal error: Declaration of BaseValidator::seterror() must be compatible with that of Validator::seterror() in classes/abstract/abstract_basevalidator.php on line 3
it is just 1 of the many errors i need to filter out to even show the homepage of the script (this part is taken when i try to login , the homepage is working partial now )

also as a suggestion i would suggest to hide links that are not avaible for non registered users

as you are working with sesions and with id's is it perfect possible to only show some links after a user is logged in , but that is just personal

a other error from the shoutbox
Code:
Fatal error: Can't inherit abstract function Container::display() (previously declared abstract in MessageContainer) in classes/abstract/abstract_messagecontainer.php on line 3
so if you got a version for php 5.2 then i realy like to have it

ps: is php 5.2 not compitable with php 5.3 ( php 5.3 is not compitable with 5.2 ) ?? so why a rewrite to a newer version when the old code still works ?

Thank you
Greetings From PowerChaos
Old 12-04-2012, 11:26 AM
Administrator, Lead Coder

Credits: 327,448
Hall of Famer is on a distinguished road

Well yeah, this script at this point has compatibility issue with PHP 5.2. Some users reported errors with their PHP 5.2 server, I've offered a solution. Get rid of all the interface implementation and replace getTimeStamp by time(), you should be fine for most of the time.

In fact, support for PHP 5.2 will be dropped completely in Mys v1.4.0, which will be using a good amount of Namespace and DateTime. It may be alright to stay with PHP 5.2 for now, but its definitely not recommended in future.

Mysidia Adoptables, a free and ever-improving script for aspiring adoptables/pets site.
Old 12-04-2012, 03:55 PM
WebMaster

powerchaos

Thank you

a other small site note , the complete login sesion is changed to php 5.3 , so just changing some settings in the files does not fix the compitability mode :( it was the first thing i dit

i use now version 1.3.1 as it is compitable with the older php version ( seems that version 1.3.2 is rewritten to fix some security settings)

at current moment i got the thing up and running and i am testing out some functions to improve the script to my needs

a few things will be released on this forum if you agree ( ofcourse for php 5.2 as i can not work with 5.3 ) but not sure if they will work on version 1.3.2 as i work on 1.3.1

a example of a improvement is the rewrite rule
to make it more user friendly i am changing it so the user get there pet name as signature and not just a number (going see if i can sanitise the name for browser compitability if they use spaces )

example

Code:
http://www.pets.demonpower.com/1/yourpetname.gif
the end name does not Mather , but that makes it more user friendly and more personal

anyway
Thank you for your support , i shall see what i can do for this script after spending some time with it :D

also , why dropping support for php 5.2 if most scripts still run on that version ( also most hosts )

Thank you
Old 12-04-2012, 04:32 PM

I see, so there are more to it. Thought you only needed to get rid of the abstract class/interface method implementation and datetime object, looks like it is a pain to make this script compatible with PHP 5.2. I wish you good luck, if you can release a patch for Mys v1.3.2 compatible with older version of PHP I will appreciate.

Mys v1.3.2 indeed is somewhat of a rewrite over the old script, but the changes are still not great enough to classify it as a new major release like Mys v1.4.0. You do notice a significant increase in classes and objects being used, this is just the beginning. In fact, the design of Model classes such as User, Member and Private Message is pretty crappy, you most likely gonna witness a dramatic modification of these old classes in not so distant future. To think that the script prior to Mys v1.3.0 was completely procedural, I'd say this is already a huge improvement.

I believe its time to make use of the vast new features introduced by PHP 5.3. First of all, it is quite difficult to autoload classes in various directories without namespace. With Mys v1.4.0 adopting MVC architecture pattern, this is just inevitable. On the other hand PHP's DateTime object is too good to resist. I may also end up using some anonymous functions if I feel like doing it. There will still be about half a year till Mys v1.4.0 is available though, so you have time to prepare for the transition.

On the other hand, PHP 5.3 is indeed becoming much more common among webhosts. Many shared webhosts such as HostGator and Bluehost are already providing PHP 5.3 as an alternative choice, all you need to do is to edit something in the config file to use PHP 5.3 instead of the default PHP 5.2. Even freehost like 000webhost is going to support PHP 5.3 soon. It is about time to move forward.

The decision to drop support for PHP 5.2 in Mys v1.4.0 is final though, I've made up my mind a while ago and it is highly unlikely for me to ever consider changing it.

Mysidia Adoptables, a free and ever-improving script for aspiring adoptables/pets site.
Old 12-04-2012, 05:04 PM
WebMaster

powerchaos

i agree to your decision and some things are indeed more fun in php 5.3

but i still love the old code ( maybe a bit more work) as it gives me a better overvieuw then those classes that get used and dynamic variables

also php 5.2 is compitable with php 5.3

as i am just a basic scripter can i apply some changes , but it is not possible for me to complete rewrite the script to make a php 5.3 version compitable with php 5.2

i can apply some changes to the 1.3.1 version so it fix the bugs that are fixed in 1.3.2
but i do not even know what bugs are in it at current moment

if you agree , can i keep working on the 1.3.1 version and make it a 1.4 version for php 5.2 ? (by adding the edits you dit but then in php 5.2 code) and provide it to you when it is ready

else i can keep it for my personal use :D

Old 12-04-2012, 05:10 PM

Actually, Mys v1.3.2 is not that much of a change from Mys v1.3.1, thats why it is not called Mys v1.4.0 yet. You shouldnt need to fix too many things to make it compatible with PHP 5.2, although I admit tracking the incompatible code can be painful and time consuming.

If you want to, I definitely do not object the idea of you creating PHP 5.2 patches for every security release of this script. Just be careful though, it wont be as easy to accomplish when Mys v1.4.0 comes out. For Mys v1.3.3 I will be more careful not to create more incompatibility nightmares for you PHP. The entire Mys v1.3.x series is supposed to compensate for PHP 5.2 users, guess I just wasnt careful.

Old 12-04-2012, 06:32 PM
WebMaster

powerchaos

Thank you

so far my little bug list that is fixed
  • not able to install new templates
  • fixed it by adding a small code so it search on the right place from start and update the right thing in the db
  • default theme update not working , fixed by fixing the wrong url .. (settings vs settingspost with a get command)

also i going try to make it seo friendly ( htacces rewrite :D ) but not sure if i can do that part :S

eather way , as soon i am ready i going let you know how mutch things are updated/fixed to get as close as possible to the 1.3.2 version :D and then it is up to you to deside what to do with it

Thank you for your help and support