Mysidia Adoptables Support Forum  

Home Community Mys-Script Creative Off-Topic
Go Back   Mysidia Adoptables Support Forum > Mysidia Adoptables > Questions and Supports

Notices

Old 11-06-2018, 04:34 PM

Credits: 864
p810 is on a distinguished road
Question Mysidia bug fixes and rewrite: Would anyone be interested?

Hi all,

I'm a longtime user and board lurker from back in 2009-2010 when it was called Rusnak's adoptables script. I've been reading lately that there are some longstanding bugs with Mysidia, and from the looks of it, this appears to be a dead project. For a while I've been interested in making my own fork of the project and figured this would be as good a time as ever to float the idea by. Does anyone still use this software? Would anyone use it if it were updated and freshened up a bit? Would anyone be interested in helping me in this effort, or in revitalizing the community / starting a new adoptable site?
Old 11-06-2018, 08:44 PM
Premium Member

Credits: 86,784
Kyttias is on a distinguished road

Most certainly! A revisit to the concept from the ground up is sorely needed - taking only inspiration, but next to no code.

If you'd like to get in touch with me, the best way to do so is via a note to my DeviantART (of this same username), and from there I can send my Discord handle. (Or to gmail, also of this username.) -- I've long since disabled receiving DMs here.

In my time while I was active here, I enjoyed making addons, but my entire site started to feel like one giant addon, as I slowly replaced the core functionality in almost every aspect. Mysidia felt more like a cramped shell I grew out of, and freeing myself of it to work on my own was a relief. Many others here wouldn't mind crawling into something a bit more modern and streamlined when it's available, but they may not be in the best position to help out.

As for me - I certainly don't mind being a contact that you can bounce concepts, buggy code, and test phases off of. If you're in need of an artist, I also wouldn't mind helping out to provide some placeholder art as needed for use in testing that I wouldn't mind being shipped as part of a final demo.

I'm in the unfortunate position of knowing what I want, what I need, and just not having the time or motivation to do it. Bless you!
Old 11-07-2018, 06:17 PM
The awesomesauce

Credits: 32,712
Ittermat is on a distinguished road

Dinocanid is working on "Mysidia Deluxe" Which if I remember right is a fixed script with more features?
https://github.com/mysidia-deluxe
Old 11-07-2018, 10:10 PM

Credits: 63,464
Dinocanid is on a distinguished road

You should definitely give Mysidia Deluxe a look! It's been 2 months since the last update, but I haven't dropped the project (just been busy with other stuff).

There also a post here, but it's pretty much the same info from github:
http://mysidiaadoptables.com/forum/s...ead.php?t=5575
Old 11-08-2018, 07:59 PM

Credits: 864
p810 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dinocanid View Post
You should definitely give Mysidia Deluxe a look! It's been 2 months since the last update, but I haven't dropped the project (just been busy with other stuff).

There also a post here, but it's pretty much the same info from github:
http://mysidiaadoptables.com/forum/s...ead.php?t=5575
I'll definitely look into that, thanks for sharing!

One thing I'm considering is whether it would be worth trying to rebuild from the ground up, or continuing with a fork of Mysidia like you have and building around that.

Personally I feel like there'd be some benefit in a structural reorganization of the codebase. As it stands currently there's a decent amount of technical debt accruing with how Mysidia was built, with regards to accessibility, future proofing, and patching. One major challenge with the current codebase that I foresee will be getting proper support for PHP 7 too, which is a problem since PHP 5.6 and 7.0 are at EOL.

I'm going to start tinkering with the possibility of a rewrite and see what comes of it. I set up the skeleton for a project the other day (when I made this topic) using Composer and some framework components like NikiC's router and the Auryn IoC container. I'll update this thread when I have some news.

I don't check here every day but in the meantime if any of you want to contact me, send mail to: im__9933.at. Just replace the underscores with an @
Old 11-08-2018, 08:07 PM

Credits: 63,464
Dinocanid is on a distinguished road

I already updated mysidia deluxe to support PHP 7 actually :U
All it really took was some renaming to avoid conflicts.

Rebuilding from the ground up would be better in a way (since, well, it's a brand new framework lol), but I wouldn't really be able to help with that since I'm not knowledgeable enough in "plain" PHP to create a framework from scratch, just to modernize what's already there.

There's a branch on the github that added composer to load important files, although I haven't been able to test it since for whatever reason composer refuses to install on my PC. If someone was able to test and see that the feature works though, that would be great.

Last edited by Dinocanid; 11-08-2018 at 08:10 PM.