Mysidia Adoptables Support Forum  

Home Community Mys-Script Creative Off-Topic
Go Back   Mysidia Adoptables Support Forum > Mysidia Adoptables > Questions and Supports

Notices

Old 12-09-2012, 10:28 AM
Aspiring

Credits: 11,037
Nieth is on a distinguished road
Send a message via MSN to Nieth
Question .PHP/Theme/Script Questions

Good Afternoon everyone, first I'd like to say that the script works wonderfully, the AdminCP is amazing and visually appealing and that I'm eager to learn a few things to start progressing with the site. The support here is also amazing, I'd like to point out that this is a great community and I'm looking forward to watching it progress and help it grow, if I can.

About me:

Absolutely no PHP experience. (Looking to learn, most of what I've done is trial and error.)

No Theme experience.

Artistically impaired. (But I manage)

Basically no experience with websites/database files at all.

And I'm working on this site for a friend of mine, who is important enough to me to try and learn everything I can about making a site from scratch. X.x

TL;DR Version: I have no experience, and I'm willing to learn. Sorry for the basic questions.

1. I see there are a lot of page '.php' files in the FileManager on my host and I've scurried around and investigated.

-We would like to make a text-based navigation, a 'map' of sorts. We may or may not add images later on. So is there a way to make multiple pages to navigate as if exploring, or possibly even a better way to go about it?

2. I noticed that there are a lot of Themes posted on the site that can be integrated into the Mysidia script, and I'm very thankful to the people who create and publicly release these! But I've also noticed that there isn't a basic tutorial about how to create or edit Themes, since I have no PHP experience I have a few questions.

-Is there a way to edit these themes, such as the background and header images, and all of the site colors? If so, how do I begin? General instructions would be great and I'll be able to figure out other things from there! So far I've only used sites that provide a css editor that automatically changes the template design for you, if you know what I'm talking about.

Thank you in advance for your patience to read this and cope with a new member. I'm looking forward to get my foot in the door with PHP and try to learn/understand how to do different things to eventually give back to the community. The site that I'm making isn't for me specifically, but Mysidia has made me take a great interest in PHP and how it works, I'd also like to eventually make some themes, so I look forward to joining the community!
Old 12-09-2012, 10:40 AM
WebMaster

Credits: 10,116
powerchaos
Send a message via AIM to powerchaos Send a message via MSN to powerchaos

The theme is kinda easy
in the theme folder is a html file called template.html

that is the file you need to edit to edit the basic parts

then for a map for the php files ??
what you exactly mean with that ??

if you mean a sitemap then it can be easy created in html
but as the links are at current moment non seo and all scattered around the script is it maybe easyer to browse on the site and grab the links from there to create your sitemap

php is not as easy as it seems to be , it is easy to learn but before you can work on it you need to know what everything does or what everything is used for
if you like to learn php , then i can suggest to start with some basic scripts that you find on the net and learn from the code how it is created

http://php.net/manual/en/tutorial.php will show you some basic code and provide a idea how the scripts works

Greetings From PowerChaos
Old 12-09-2012, 10:57 AM
Aspiring

I don't really want a site map. I'd just like to be able to create a lot of pages. Individual pages.

When we try to create a page in the AdminCP it does not create a page, so I was asking how creating new pages is done.
Old 12-09-2012, 01:37 PM
A Headache Embodied

Credits: 113,338
Abronsyth is on a distinguished road

You go to the Admin CP, then Content, then "add new page" :) I'm doing the same thing to create a sort of "explore" feature.
Old 12-09-2012, 02:07 PM
Aspiring

Thank you for the reply, I figured it out a while ago! It turns out that I wasn't using the correct URL's when redirecting to the new pages. That's why it wouldn't work, just in case someone else haas a hard time reading or understanding, for each new page you're going to have to use the format:

pages.php?page=pagename

Just replace pagename with whatever you named the page upon creation!