Mysidia Adoptables Support Forum  

Home Community Mys-Script Creative Off-Topic
Go Back   Mysidia Adoptables Support Forum > Off Topic Discussions > Webmasters Area

Notices

Old 11-19-2009, 08:00 AM
Dev Staff

Credits: 21,048
Arianna will become famous soon enough
Default RE: Reason to make mods donator only...

I don't think that I'm in the mood to sue someone. xD Well, I think that that is something that we should really think of. This isn't fair for any of us.
Old 11-19-2009, 08:18 AM

Credits: 390
theraptor

you will most likely not need to sue. If you contact that company using the link i gave you, you can most likely get the site shutdown if you explain things.
Old 11-19-2009, 09:27 AM
I am, who I am.

Credits: 28,032
Bloodrun
Send a message via Yahoo to Bloodrun

Quote:
Originally Posted by theraptor
i've traced their site back to being hosted here: http://tailoredservers.com/support.php

You can form up a cease-and-desist letter to their host. If that doesn't get them to cut off the site, then you can always sue.
Their Servers Company doesn't even have a listed email address. Never the less I have added them to my Messenging services, to try and talk to them.
Old 11-21-2009, 04:49 AM

Credits: 7,791
exdiogene

Just serve their webhost a Creative Commons DMCA notice. Lol, they will get kicked from the host pretty quickly.

Found this on a site:

Code:
Dear [name]:

It has come to my attention that you have made an unauthorized use of my copyrighted work entitled [name of work] (the "Work") in the preparation of a work derived therefrom. I have reserved all rights in the Work, first published in [date], [and have registered copyright therein]. Your work entitled [name of infringing work] is essentially identical to the Work and clearly used the Work as its basis. [Give a few examples that illustrate direct copying.]

As you neither asked for nor received permission to use the Work as the basis for [name of infringing work] nor to make or distribute copies, including electronic copies, of same, I believe you have willfully infringed my rights under 17 U.S.C. Section 101 et seq. and could be liable for statutory damages as high as $150,000 as set forth in Section 504(c)(2) therein.

I demand that you immediately cease the use and distribution of all infringing works derived from the Work, and all copies, including electronic copies, of same, that you deliver to me, if applicable, all unused, undistributed copies of same, or destroy such copies immediately and that you desist from this or any other infringement of my rights in the future. If I have not received an affirmative response from you by [date give them about 2 weeks] indicating that you have fully complied with these requirements, I shall take further action against you.

Very truly yours,
it was on this article: http://lorelle.wordpress.com/2006/04/10/what-do-you-do-when-someone-steals-your-content/
Old 11-21-2009, 08:33 AM
Dev Staff

Hmm, do you think that it is possible, 'cause it's an open source script? Maybe to say that they should give credit, like is supposed to be given?
Old 11-21-2009, 12:42 PM

Credits: 390
theraptor

its not technically open source in the way that you are thinking of. It is licensed under the creative commons attribution-no dirivative works license (i believe), which means that to leggaly use it, you must provide crdit to the author and my not modify & distribute it.
Old 11-21-2009, 01:55 PM
Dev Staff

Ah, I see. I don't really have any idea what all of these things mean, sadly, so I guess that I can't be doing any negotiation here. xP So, is what has been said enough to send the letter to the host? If we find an email or the like, of course.
Old 11-21-2009, 03:07 PM

Credits: 467
mywarriorcats

I was sent a link to this thread by a member here. Are you people serious? I find it rather funny that you are trying to get my server shut down when the script is a free script, and the copyright notice has not been edited and is still in its original spot. Perhaps you aught to use the "view source" function of your browsers before you make such outlandish claims. I would love the chance to file a counter suit on your frivolous case based on misinformation and lies. Do you realize that you are actually putting this site in danger of a lawsuit by your own actions? I guess it's safe to assume the owner of this site is also culpable for your actions since this thread appears to have been allowed to continue for a few days now on his very own website?

Of course you are wrong about many, many things. First of all, did you even review the creative commons website? The creative commons is not a LAW, they are an organization, but they don't even deal with software, and if you took the time to read their FAQ, you would know this.

Do you know anything at all about copyright laws, open source codes, fair use, etc, etc? You people have no idea what your talking about and I had to laugh multiple times when reading this thread. In addition, someone tried to mention that one cannot edit an open source, which is actually untrue. The truth is, editing the code is the backbone of the open source community. In addition, if what you were saying were true, you would all be guilty of violating this non-existent law as I have read on many occasions that you all have actually modified the source code. You can learn a little more about open source here. As for copyright violations in general, perhaps you don't understand that you cannot act on the behalf of another without the consent of the author of the work which there may be a copyright law. The actual author, or a representative of the author is the one who must bring for a complaint of copyright infringement. As far as I can tell, none of you are in such a position.

But who cares about what is factually law, and what is fictitious law, when you have a bunch of young kids who think they can make up the law as they go. But I do hope you realize that your actions based on fictitious law can have very real world consequences. You are doing the author of this site a great disservice with your unwarranted actions. Perhaps you aught to let the author of this FREE script worry about these things? You do realize your actions constitute harassment, right? Consider this your constructive notice, and I will now assume you are aware of this and will either cease your harassment or I will be forced to take legal action of my own. (screen shot taken and saved to hard drive).

I look forward to hearing about your results from my host (assuming you have the right host of course, LOL). :P
Old 11-21-2009, 04:58 PM

Credits: 10,551
BMR777 is on a distinguished road

Ok, I am going to close this now.