Mysidia Adoptables Support Forum  

Home Community Mys-Script Creative Off-Topic
Go Back   Mysidia Adoptables Support Forum > Mysidia Adoptables > Suggestions and Feature Requests

Notices

Old 05-26-2013, 11:20 PM
Administrator, Lead Coder

Credits: 332,562
Hall of Famer is on a distinguished road

One thing I was wondering though Nemesis, Mysidia Adoptables get new versions every a 1-3 months. In this case, how do you handle version upgrade?

Mysidia Adoptables, a free and ever-improving script for aspiring adoptables/pets site.
Old 05-27-2013, 11:12 AM

Credits: 48,939
Nemesis is on a distinguished road

good question, either the client handles it themselves or the admin/moderators would have to do it.

But remember my whole forum and point system. My hosting and services will be free or rather attainable by everyone. I am setting up an economy, much like your shop system here. Members receive points for every post for participating in discussions.

For example my shop will have 1 month hosting-10pts, one install of any script-5pts, and say update of script-5pts. Could also do site transfers-2pts etc...

Now we have Member X who wants to run a site but knows nothing of hosting or installations. So X signs up on the forum and makes a introductory post, explains their website needs and ideas. Joins in on other discussions, collecting 1pts for each post.
So member X accumulates 10pts from posting but needs 15 for a full site. Well luckily member X is an artist and finds member Y needing help with an item.

So member X contacts member Y, whips up an item and sells it for 5pts. Now member Y is happy with new site content and was able to spend pts for a service. And member X was able to sell a service to earn more pts. Member X now has 15pts to get hosting and full site install to start their own site.

this process continues, a way to exchange goods and services with points rather than money. So in theory anyone can obtain anything from others in time by participating with the community and offering what you can. pts can range from anything to contests, being a member of a site, coding, art, writing, moderating, installing, anything the community is willing to pay for.

So to answer your question, anyone that has knowledge to install or update a site can post it it in their shop and even do it less than me for say 2pts.

Now we have a full on working economy, where inflation may arise from posting but that's okay as the cost of services will just go up as well. And if it gets out of hand we can just remove pts from the system.

Most importantly we have a helpful community. where each site doesn't just have one admin but maybe multiple people all working on it that wouldn't have otherwise.

Great example: I met a 12 year old online recently in the UK. He is a great PHP programmer. Better than me :/ But being 12 he doesn't have much money to pay for hosting domains etc... I have already paid a month hosting for him and got him SSL for his custom blogging script he is working on. He also has extensive linux knowledge and has helped me tons with my VPS.

So he wants hosting, and you need coding help. He uses team viewer to step you through the process. (Another idea I had, spend pts for training). Well by helping you code for pts you get a good programmer for free and now he gets the hosting he wants.

To summarize we have a lot of young talented people and this way we can all help each other.
Old 05-27-2013, 05:49 PM
A Headache Embodied

Credits: 113,286
Abronsyth is on a distinguished road

I can see you put quite a bit of thinking into this, Nemesis! This sounds likes it could turn out to be a very successful project. I will be busy in the next 1/2 month dealing with finals and regents exams, but after that I should have plenty of free time. So I'd like to help out in any way possible. I have experience as a forum/community moderator and I've done a lot of investigating of sites while Myadopts was still up and running. So if you're going to be needing experienced moderators I'd be happy to volunteer my time to this project. As I've said before, I really enjoyed the community an active VPS host can encourage, and I look forwards to be apart of one once more.

The points system, the way you described it, sounds like it could be quite a bit of fun to work with! It's always good to see sites, hosts especially, encouraging user interaction like that. Not to mention I could exercise my installing/upgrading process, haha.
Old 05-27-2013, 06:10 PM

Credits: 17,322
Kesstryl is on a distinguished road

I'm a little confused by how this will work, will each user have to install their own individual mysidia software? So no instance of mysidia per site owner under a root install of mysidia? As HoF said, this will make upgrading difficult as it will be on an individual basis, and I've been holding back on starting any project with mysidia until the OOP and MVC transition is completed as those changes could potentially break a previous version, or make upgrading a seriously difficult manual task. I'm not sure how other sites are designing their actual software, but here's a link to 2 sites that are in the process of doing something similar:

http://www.myvirtualpetsite.com/index.php

http://www.virtualpetlist.com/showth...ial-Sneak-Peak
Old 05-28-2013, 10:40 PM

Credits: 48,939
Nemesis is on a distinguished road

Oh yeah this is happening. Site/server is nearly complete http://99webs.org/ ready for new users, we can start a beta. Though I still need to add a lot of content and I am still testing new hosting accounts. But all is looking good.

Break Down:

new members get starting 10pts.
each new thread/post/poll/vote is 1pt.
each log in session is 1pt.
pts can be donated/sent to other members.
points can be traded/pulled/given for any reason or service.

Boards:

-99webs -
Hosting is to order a hosting account with us. and keep track of your account info, re-ording, expiration etc...
Questions & support is mainly for the hosting accounts/clients. Zpanel is different and there will be lots of questions on how to use the host. Email, Databases, FTP, Usage, etc...
Suggestions and Feedback is to better the 99webs service. Let us know what to improve and how we are doing.

-community-
General discussions on anything and new member introductions
Request Help is generally not for point trading but possible tips. Basically members can ask the community as a hole on how to set something up. And anyone with knowledge can answer. a Q & A board like how to set up a domain(DNS), install a script, create a database etc... Goal is for users to do it themselves and learn, not trade services.

-Workshop-
The workshop and respective categories are for developers of that trade or learning the trade. It is not free work for anyone to use nor is it up for trade. It is simply a place where developers can show their work, get feedback, or help with what they are working on or trying to accomplish.

-developing-

Developing boards is where you can post your skills you will offer for members to purchase with points. Members can also post what they need help with. This is where you trade your goods or services.

2nd part is for describing your project idea and trying to find feedback or interested developers on it. Below that is for public ready projects (maybe ongoing development) looking for feedback or members.

Bout what I got so far. Its ready I believe but not necessarily set in stone. Can always add more boards if needed let me know!

@kesstryl Hope this clears things up but to answer your questions, yes each hosting account is its own instance so they will have to do updates. I don't see how we could share one instance accross all accounts. While yes that would be nice for updates, however a lot of sites have mods or custom php files so it wouldn't work then.

Last edited by Nemesis; 05-28-2013 at 10:44 PM.
Old 06-04-2013, 07:26 PM

I'd be glad to help with beta testing, I'm already doing that for a similar site. Theirs is more cookie cutter, at least with Mysidia you get your own feet wet with actual programming and modding. How will the urls work? Will there be options for multiple sites, or changing a site's name and url if a user decides on a different one? Also, will domains be available at some point?
Old 06-04-2013, 08:11 PM

Also, something to consider for both you and HoF, what if Mysidia were to eventually be modular? This way you could have one instance that could be cloned per user, and then modules could be added to expand site features. Such a system would have to wait until Mysidia itself is finished, I imagine, so that would be years away.

Also consider advertising your site on VirtualPetList.com, a forum site dedicated to all pet games, adoptables, pet sims, etc. They have a sizable user base made up of pet site owners, pet site artists, reviewers, and fans.
Old 06-10-2013, 07:09 PM
Administrator, Lead Coder

Credits: 332,562
Hall of Famer is on a distinguished road

Well ideally a fully object oriented script is modular, you can add/remove a complete feature without thorough script modification. I am not sure if Mys v1.4.x will achieve that, but it will get there sooner or later.

Mysidia Adoptables, a free and ever-improving script for aspiring adoptables/pets site.
Old 06-11-2013, 01:20 PM

Credits: 22,806
Ruinily is on a distinguished road

I just wanted to add I think that its a great idea, it'd be nice to have a myadopts back. ^_^ Thats how I got drawn into all this lol, I wish I could help somehow, but all I can really do is cheer from the sidelines I think...

Chocolate butterfly cat pudding. o.o

And since even the programming on this forum doesnt like me anymore heres my sites address. XD
http://felkyocreatures.com/index.php
Old 06-21-2013, 11:12 PM

Any info on when this will be ready for alpha or beta testing? Looks like CreateAdopt.com is no longer going to be developed, and MyVirtualPetsite.com developer is in hiatus which opens the door for Mysidia.