Mysidia Adoptables Support Forum  

Home Community Mys-Script Creative Off-Topic
Go Back   Mysidia Adoptables Support Forum > Mysidia Adoptables > Questions and Supports

Notices

Old 11-30-2013, 07:41 PM
A Headache Embodied

Credits: 113,431
Abronsyth is on a distinguished road
Default Is It Worth It?

I am considering commissioning a programmer to create an explore system for my Mys 1.3.4 site with the following description:
Quote:
The main feature I would like to add at this point is an exploration system that allows users to select one of their pets of "level 3" or higher and take said pet exploring. A user could only take a max total of 5 pets exploring each day, or pay a fine of currency (# undecided) to allow exploration with one more pet for each payment. The system would reset, so to speak after a total of 24 hours. The exploration page itself would be fairly simple, first showing the selection page, having a drop-down of eligible pets. Once a pet is selected it would simply show a picture of the selected pet and an "Explore" button. At each click a status update would show under the pet (it would be best if I could add/delete/edit possible statuses at will). While exploring there would be a possibility of the pet "finding" something, which could be any one of the items added to the system (so an option to add items to the explore system would also be needed through the aCP). The user could then choose to either leave or take the item. If the item is left, then the exploration simply continues. If taken, the item is added to the user's inventory. Pets may also "find" currency (between 1 and 100 currencies), which is added to the users total. Each pet would have 25 "moves" as in times the user could press the "explore" button and possibly find something.
The total for this service would be $250, which is a tad beyond my limit but with Christmas coming up I could probably work it out. So what I want to know is do you guys think this is a reasonable price? And is this feature worth it?

Thanks,
Pero/Abron
Old 11-30-2013, 09:20 PM

Credits: 67,280
AlexC is an unknown quantity at this point

The feature in itself is cool - I certainly wouldn't mind something like that. On the other hand, an explore system is certainly a planned feature. Your way of doing it is actually a rather good idea, perhaps with that in mind, it might be pushed earlier or made easier?

I guess it's how quickly you think the mod will be made redundant. Are you planning to upgrade to v1.4? I imagine the coding might be changing a lot - in that case, you may not be able to adapt the mod to the new coding easily or at all. If your site will take a while to be released, but be worth holding out for the v1.4 series so that the coding will be a lot more solidly defined, and hopefully not changing to much between versions.

$250 is probably the right amount for a solid, ACP integrated mod, but its just how long you'll be able to use it for, I guess.
Old 11-30-2013, 10:35 PM

Credits: 19,376
IntoRain is on a distinguished road

I honestly think anyone can sit down for a couple hours everyday and, with this simple yet effective script, make their own systems (specially if it involves a new feature and not an edit to already existing things). Exploration systems seem to be extremely time consuming to make however. But like AlexC said, I don't know if it is really worth to do it right now, since 1.4.0 must be coming in 2014

asp.net stole my soul.
Old 12-02-2013, 01:33 AM

Credits: 22,813
Ruinily is on a distinguished road

Um, I think Isura had something similar on her site, but shes struggling a little with time at the moment. ^_^' Still you could try asking? :)

Chocolate butterfly cat pudding. o.o

And since even the programming on this forum doesnt like me anymore heres my sites address. XD
http://felkyocreatures.com/index.php
Old 12-13-2013, 02:25 PM

Credits: 49,004
Nemesis is on a distinguished road

Still looking for a coder I am done with fall semester and looking for projects to put these skills to use.
Old 12-13-2013, 02:52 PM
Administrator, Lead Coder

Credits: 333,736
Hall of Famer is on a distinguished road

You can make exploration system with Mys v1.3.4 and it wont be difficult, unless you want ACP integration.

Mysidia Adoptables, a free and ever-improving script for aspiring adoptables/pets site.
Old 12-13-2013, 05:34 PM
A Headache Embodied

Credits: 113,431
Abronsyth is on a distinguished road

Nemesis, depends on where you'd put pricing at XD I'm always willing to do trades (art/etc for coding), but with a dead tablet I'm limited to traditional pieces and concept sketches until Christmas (at which point I shall hopefully have a new one!).

HoF, ACP integration isn't necessary (just convenient, heh)...what would you recommend as a starting point? ((My php skills are...eh...still rather limited.))
Old 12-13-2013, 06:00 PM

Credits: 19,376
IntoRain is on a distinguished road

I will break it down into smaller problems

Quote:
The main feature I would like to add at this point is an exploration system that allows users to select one of their pets of "level 3" or higher and take said pet exploring.
This is very simple. On the page they will have to choose their pets, create a dropdown with only pets of that user with a level equal or above 3. This is simple because you can look at how it's done in other pages (breeding for example) and the query to retrieve the pets from the database is fairly simple. Submiting is also in the breeding page so you can see how it works.

Quote:
A user could only take a max total of 5 pets exploring each day,
A good way to solve this is with the database itself. You will probably have to create a table for the exploration system. This exploration table will hold the user's name, the date (look at the leveling pages to see how it registers if a user already visited a pet in that day) and an integer that holds the number of pets this user sent. You can also have whatever else you want/need.
And basically, all you have to do is make a query to this table where the username matches, get the current date and compare to the date in the table:
If the dates aren't equal, register the current date in the table (through a database update, you can search the db->update function for example in the rename() function). If not, check the number of pets. If that number is bigger than 5, throw an exception and don't allow the user to submit it. If it's less than 5, allow the user to choose a pet and update this number.

Quote:
or pay a fine of currency (# undecided) to allow exploration with one more pet for each payment.
So, if the user had 5 pets already, instead of an exception it would ask the user if he wants to pay to enter another pet. If you want to limit the amount of times he can pay, you can also add that limit to the database with a counter. Put a button for him to accept the payment, take him to the choose-a-pet page and remove money from him (updating database again with the updated money value).

Quote:
The system would reset, so to speak after a total of 24 hours.
You can use a cron job for this. But honestly the comparing dates I mentioned above is how it's done in this script...

Quote:
The exploration page itself would be fairly simple, first showing the selection page, having a drop-down of eligible pets.
Mentioned above

Quote:
Once a pet is selected it would simply show a picture of the selected pet and an "Explore" button.
Ok. So when you enter explore, it should verify first if user has a pet exploring. Maybe another variable in the table mentioned above?

Quote:
At each click a status update would show under the pet (it would be best if I could add/delete/edit possible statuses at will).
You can make a "statuses" table in your database with the attributes you want and randomly get them. For example, sort a random number and that number is the ID of the status randomly obtained. So you do a query searching for the status with that ID.

Quote:
While exploring there would be a possibility of the pet "finding" something, which could be any one of the items added to the system (so an option to add items to the explore system would also be needed through the aCP).
Again, can be done as above. A table of items with IDs. Randomly sort a number. That number is the ID you want.
The ACP is not needed once you learn how to enter things directly in the databse.

Quote:
If the item is left, then the exploration simply continues. If taken, the item is added to the user's inventory.
Easy, two buttons. One of them updates the user's inventory table

Quote:
Pets may also "find" currency (between 1 and 100 currencies), which is added to the users total.
Another db->update()

Quote:
Each pet would have 25 "moves" as in times the user could press the "explore" button and possibly find something.
Maybe add another variable to the explore table? Or create a table with all adoptables currently exploring (their ID, their owner and the number of times they explored and mayeb the date to be sure)

asp.net stole my soul.