Mysidia Adoptables Support Forum  

Home Community Mys-Script Creative Off-Topic
Go Back   Mysidia Adoptables Support Forum > Mysidia Adoptables > Questions and Supports

Notices

Old 10-25-2017, 12:27 PM

Credits: 3,500
gwynmil is on a distinguished road

Sorry for slow reply. I decided to stick with a large div for the background. Huge body-bg images turned out to be impractical.

Dinocanid, could we hire you to add the breeding/IM stuff for us? I can make a bunch of pre-coloured body parts and markings in case hex/rgb is too difficult right now.
There are also some other mods (existing and not) that would be good to add... but I'd rather focus on the creative side of things for a while, than more code. I seem to break half the scripts I touch, haha.

I saw your thread about coding for payment, and would happily pay you by Paypal. Will need to discuss exact plans with my co-designer first, but either way, you up for some work? :)
Old 10-25-2017, 05:14 PM

Credits: 63,661
Dinocanid is on a distinguished road

I'd love some work actually! (Kind of need the money, lol)
I can try to work with hex codes, since it might be possible, but if it doesn't work out than pre-colored parts and markings would be the way to go.
Old 10-26-2017, 11:36 AM

Fabulous! ... although we just discovered yesterday that x10hosting free accounts don't allow people to sign in from different countries, meaning my co-designer in the US is kinda screwed, and I guess it blocks you as well.

I'll try to upgrade as soon as possible, then message you with the details of what we need. Sorry for this delay.
Old 11-03-2017, 11:41 AM

Was busy for a week, now back to messing around. Gonna try to learn and add some more mods myself, so poor Dino won't be piled with a million random small tasks to do later. x)

Added original owner and birthday (Kyttias' mod). They work fine on griffs' Stats pages, but I can't get them to show up on the temporary profiles (levelupview) amongst the other stats.
{$birthday} - shows nothing
{$this->birthday} - shows nothing
{$adopt->getBirthday()} - causes error
I don't yet understand the difference between all these methods. When is it appropriate to use each one?

edit: nevermind, {$adopt->birthday} was the way to go. D'oh. Also the background mod is mysteriously working now, hooray!

Birth dates seem to be delayed by a few hours. I stayed up til the early hours and made some griffs; they had the previous day. Made another this afternoon and it's the correct date. Is the game using an American time system or something?

Finally, when errors are turned on, holy balls. Every page of the site has this mess at the top, before things load normally. I guess it can be safely ignored again, but it would be quite nice to fix it, so I can see what causes errors elsewhere.
The offending line: if($this->thematicBreak) $this->renderThematicBreak();
edit: removed that line and errors are mostly gone, whew.

Last edited by gwynmil; 11-03-2017 at 12:31 PM.
Old 11-03-2017, 12:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gwynmil View Post
Was busy for a week, now back to messing around. Gonna try to learn and add some more mods myself, so poor Dino won't be piled with a million random small tasks to do later. x)

Added original owner and birthday (Kyttias' mod). They work fine on griffs' Stats pages, but I can't get them to show up on the temporary profiles (levelupview) amongst the other stats.
{$birthday} - shows nothing
{$this->birthday} - shows nothing
{$adopt->getBirthday()} - causes error
I don't yet understand the difference between all these methods. When is it appropriate to use each one?

Also, birth dates seem to be delayed by a few hours. I stayed up til the early hours and made some griffs; they had the previous day. Made another this afternoon and it's the correct date. Is the game using an American time system or something?

Finally, when errors are turned on, holy balls. Every page of the site has this mess at the top, before things load normally. I guess it can be safely ignored again, but it would be quite nice to fix it, so I can see what causes errors elsewhere.
The offending line: if($this->thematicBreak) $this->renderThematicBreak();
edit: removed that line and errors are mostly gone, whew.
For the birthday variable, there is a difference between those three:
  • {$birthday}: $birthday must be defined within that function. For example
    PHP Code:
    $birthday $mysidia->db->select("owned_adoptables", array("birthday"), "aid = '{$adopt->getAdoptID()}'")->fetchColumn();
    $document->add(new Comment("Birthday: {$birthday}")); 
  • {$this->birthday}: In levelupview.php, you wouldn't use $this, you have to use $adopt. So it would be {$adopt->birthday}
  • {$adopt->getBirthday()}: For this, you must set it up in class_ownedadoptable.php like this:
    PHP Code:
    public $birthday//add with the other listed variables

public function getBirthday(){
            return 
    $this->birthday;
        } 

For the actual dates, I think the server time is set to UTC by default (or EST, not entirely sure) You can change the timezone by sticking this at the top of any script you want though (within the php tags!):
PHP Code:
date_default_timezone_set('TIMEZONE'); 
Here's a page on it: link

Now for the errors. This might sound wrong but uh...you can just turn them back off lol. While it is nice to fix them if you can, they actually don't affect the site in any way and can safely be ignored without causing any problems (just like strict standards), plus it saves a lot of headaches. I don't think anyone has found a proper fix for them, since everyone just disables them. I've been working on my site for 3 years, and I just have them turned off without any issues.

(I posted after your edit, but might as well keep this here ^^;)
Old 11-03-2017, 01:38 PM

Perfect, thank you for the explanations. I completely forgot about adding more things to that class file, too.

Guessing the time is EST, 5 hours behind me. It's hard to be sure lol (ought to add a timer somewhere). Is there a certain place to set the timezone so it'll affect the whole site at once?

Also, forgot to ask. Using the dynamic image script later, does that mean the Alternate Image feature is redundant, since all the pre-set adopt images will be ignored? Griffs are divided into many breeds, then 2 sexes, then 6 stages for each one (including eggs which should have dynamic colouring and shapes to hint at the contents). I don't think it'll be a problem, pathing to all the right folders.

And working out the breeding system, ahhh. I'm hoping to let most of the breeds intermix, with the chicks having 50% chance of inheriting either breed. Same as all the parents' other traits.
Should this be part of the modified breeding script (have all these common "breeds" actually be a single one, and the different names/images just for show), or can Mysidia handle this by default, using the "create baby/breed adopt" system in some arcane way?
Old 11-03-2017, 01:52 PM

I don't know where you would put it to have it affect the whole site. I think I did it once, but I honestly don't know what I did lol. I think I might have stuck it in the index, or class_template...

With the dynamic image script, it would ignore pre-set adopt images (and any related mods to it). Alternate images are still possible by using if statements in the image generation, which is how I have different linearts for pups and adults in Wild Souls.

For the breeding system, mysidia handles that by default with "create breed adopt" (you must have it set to "advanced" and not "heuristic" though), so thankfully something like that will not need a rewrite. It's also possible to directly modify the breeding script for things like marking rarities/probability, etc. Abron's battle mod includes inheriting stats, and it can be modified to include different type traits too.
Old 11-03-2017, 03:51 PM

OK, so... I must create lots of "breed adopts", the same breeds over and over, to cover every possible parent combination that can spawn them?
For three test breeds:
BasicGriff - from BasicGriff parent(s)
BasicGriff - from BasicGriff, Minoanish
BasicGriff - from BasicGriff, Heraldish
Minoanish - from Minoanish parent(s)
Minoanish - from Minoanish, BasicGriff
Minoanish - from Minoanish, Heraldish
Heraldish - from Heraldish parent(s)
Heraldish - from Heraldish, BasicGriff
Heraldish - from Heraldish, Minoanish

I guess it's not a problem really (as long as everything is kept track of! These numbers will increase exponentially with more breeds added). Actually the ability to make some cross-outcomes rarer than others is very nice - so it could be incredibly rare to get a Minoanish chick from mixed breedings, compared to pure-breeding.

edit: oh wow, just realised hybrid-breeds are possible then.
GallusPavo x BasicSylph = GallusSylph, GallusBasic, PavoBasic, PavoSylph
GallusPavo x GallusPavo = GallusPavo, Gallus or Pavo (but getting the hybrid would be most likely)
This is amazing. So many detailed opportunities. Wheee!

One last question for tonight. On the breeding page, when parent(s) are selected in the dropdown lists, it would be nice to display their images too. I can imagine how to do this with Javascript and a couple of divs, but PHP and these page structures are new and weird lol. Have you any ideas?

Last edited by gwynmil; 11-03-2017 at 04:11 PM.
Old 11-03-2017, 04:09 PM

My bad, I was thinking of pre-set adopt images, which in that case you would have to do that.

Depending on what method you want, you could do what I do on Wild Souls and have one "adopt species" (in this case, griffin). Then you add columns in the owned_adoptables table to hold the breed information (so base color, markings, breed, sex, level/stage). I don't know how you have your different breeds planned out, but if they have different linearts for certain ones then the dynamic image script can handle that by swapping them depending on the breed. What this means is that you would never have to use the "breed adopts" section of the ACP. This is what my table looks like as an example:

(I made a new custom table, but wid is basically the same as aid. In case you were wondering, "empty" means that there is no marking in that slot, so the script loads a blank PNG image of the same name on that layer.)
Then I modified the breeding script so things like markings and colors can be inherited with some probability. You could also modify it to where certain breeds result in another. In that case the combinations would be hard-coded in, but you wouldn't need to do any repeats and it reduces the busywork.

Last edited by Dinocanid; 11-03-2017 at 04:12 PM.
Old 11-03-2017, 04:34 PM

I think I have it all figured out now, thank you. It might be a bit of a chore manually adding 158932685 breeding combinations in the admincp, but being able to create detailed hybrid outcomes is worth it... and anyway, my co-designer should share some of the work. x)

Ooh yes, having "empty" markings with transparent PNGs was exactly what we were thinking of! It's cool to see that someone else has got it working already. So it's not such a crazy idea after all (I have no idea how most breeding games organise their coat layers, it seems to be a well-guarded secret).
And yes, all the different stages' linearts/shading must be stored in the correct folders and layered after the other body parts.

If you don't mind, I'm really curious to see some of your wolves now. :D Dynamic coat combinations are so fun.

Last edited by gwynmil; 11-03-2017 at 04:39 PM.