Mysidia Adoptables Support Forum  

Home Community Mys-Script Creative Off-Topic
Go Back   Mysidia Adoptables Support Forum > Mysidia Adoptables > Suggestions and Feature Requests

Notices

Old 03-12-2012, 02:01 PM

Credits: 17,335
Kesstryl is on a distinguished road
Default Background images (habitat) for pets

I thought I'd throw this out there for either official consideration or for a modder to tackle, but I would love to have a page where a player can create a habitat and place one or a few favorite adoptables in (along with maybe some decoration items) with drag and drop, and have it save. The background image can be changed, along with items and pets to re-oraganize the habitiat according to how the player wants it to look. This is all asthetic and just a way for players to use creativity to show off favorite pets. I think javascript with saving the layout and changes to the database would be the way I would describe the script. I've dabbled in a little js, but this idea is a little bigger than my current dabblings, mainly the writing info from js into a database part.

Last edited by Kesstryl; 03-12-2012 at 02:20 PM.
Old 03-12-2012, 02:40 PM

Credits: 67,209
AlexC is an unknown quantity at this point

This is just my opinion, and I'm new to this whole modding thing, so excuse me, but I don't think its feasible that this will be considered for the script or by a modder. This was actually suggested a long time ago but was shot down.

Something like this is very, very hard - the kind of thing that experts get paid to program, not volunteers code for open-source programs. It would probably take the same amount of time to code as say, a battle system, which is planned for v5 (in 2013). People won't want to spend that much time on a small side feature.

Though I do admit, it is a nice idea. It has a lot of opportunities - pet shows or contests for examples. It's still up to HoF, but I'm saying don't get your hopes up. It may be possible for someone who is really talented to do part of it - for example, backgrounds for pets may be possible in the not-too-distant future, but I don't think wearable items will be.

Its a great dream, and I've heard a lot of people wish for it, but I don't think it will be added any time soon, if at all.

Sorry for shooting you down... I'm new - just repeating what others have said.
Old 03-12-2012, 04:53 PM

As this is something I really want personally for my own site, I'll do some research. What I can't do I might trade some art for coding on another forum I'm on. If I can get past the database part, (new to php) I'll start a thread somewhere and post what I've got. I'm really not a programmer, I only know as much as I've needed to get by with the internet, but perhaps someone who is can point out errors and offer help. Where should I post this thread when I have something to build on?
Old 03-12-2012, 05:34 PM

I think you may have to offer a little more then art, but good luck!

If you've got a working prototype, you can post it in the modifications forum - afraid there isn't anywhere for "work in progress"s though.
Old 03-12-2012, 10:19 PM

Credits: 48,953
Nemesis is on a distinguished road

yup cool idea, I agree with gloometh... and I think we should raise funds to higher freelance coders for mods like this. I also think utilizing ads could pay for this but that's me
Old 03-12-2012, 10:23 PM

I was talking briefly to HoF about advertising - ads would be nice, Mysidia has almost no advertising at all. Raising funds for freelancers would be so cool. o:
Old 03-13-2012, 01:02 PM

I was looking at coding and as far as loading a background, one could just use CSS and php, and apply the background to a div. I'm also looking at js ways to do this.

I think drag and dropping decorations into the background is better suited for html5 canvas with js as it has a coordinate system already. One would just need a way to store the coordinates into the db for the pets and items so it would load the way it was saved. I found lots of code snippets out there for bits and pieces of this, will do more research on the best way to put the js side together.

I wasn't originally talking about dressing up pets, more like having a nice background with maybe plants and background decorations, and a pet or a few pets on display in the layout, but I'm sure the technique can be applied to that too. I also wasn't implying that I was going to hire a coder with my art services, but get a coder to look at my own already written code and offer suggestions for improvement. There are coders for other adoptable sites who look for artists and can't pay with money, and I was suggesting that I might approach some who leave such posts and offer my art services in exchange for helping to troubleshoot my code. Hope this clarifies my previous posts.

Oh yeah, and advertising is a win win. Maybe some banners (varying sizes) that we could use in sigs on other sites we are members of.

*edit* I found a coder willing to exchange services :)

Last edited by Kesstryl; 03-13-2012 at 11:34 PM.
Old 03-15-2012, 11:04 AM
Epicness sausage

Credits: 19,847
mapleblade

I am currenty working on adding accesories, and backgrounds to adoptables using GD images. However, for the background part, you would need the same image size for every adoptable, else the bg would be too small.

* I will release this once I'm done with it, i have a pretty good idea on how to handle the stickers.
Old 03-15-2012, 06:55 PM

Cool, that sounds good. My goal was to make a big background page to be like a display page for a few favorite pets with some habitat decorations, something that could be changed every now and then. I'll start buiding that mod after I'm done with the basics (still doing the base line art for my pet collection). I've seen other sites do it your way, are you doing this through php?
Old 03-17-2012, 01:40 PM
Epicness sausage

Credits: 19,847
mapleblade

im doing this trough gd images.
done so far:
working functionality for stickers
management for stickers done

to-do:
admin section
make an preview script somehow >.<