Mysidia Adoptables Support Forum  

Home Community Mys-Script Creative Off-Topic
Go Back   Mysidia Adoptables Support Forum > Mysidia Adoptables > Suggestions and Feature Requests

Notices

Old 09-30-2010, 02:08 PM

Credits: 10,177
redheadturkey is on a distinguished road
Default RE: Video Tutorial Request

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hall of Famer
I have an itemshop myself, but it is heavily modified to match the theme of my pokemon adoptable site. I may edit it a little bit and release to public as a general itemshop system, depends on how much time I have.

I know an itemshop of ANY kind is desperately needed for this script ... even a bare bones one would be wonderful.
Old 09-30-2010, 09:35 PM
Premium Member

Credits: 32,180
Kaeliah will become famous soon enough
Send a message via AIM to Kaeliah Send a message via MSN to Kaeliah

Quote:
Originally Posted by fadillzzz
I like your idea on creating a new adoptables script from scratch, it sure is nice if we actually manage to do that!
Yeah it would be an awesome idea. I think honestly if we all pulled together and really cracked down on the project we could do it, but it would be complex. But then again, we could simply take the mods or mod ideas and integrate them easily as we write the script.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teshia
I think Brandon's script is just free to use, not open source. If it were open source he probably wouldn't have the copyright policy. Free to use and edit as you need, but not to distribute.

I think re-creating the script from scratch would require someone with a degree in Computer Science. If you did manage to do it though, I'd be all for an open source project.
I'm in AP Computer Science... Although we're not doing PHP, we're doing Java. Although I don't think you'd really need a degree, just someone who knows the ins and outs of PHP. Seeing as I started learning PHP this week, that's definitely not me but I know enough to figure out errors and have an idea of how everything in the script works and what needs to go where.

Quote:
But yeah, creating an adoptable script completely from scratch is much harder of a task and I wonder if it is quite possible under such a condition. Also according the Rusnak adoptable's policy, we can definitely work together to create as many mods as possible but then it will still have to be released under Brandon Rusnak's name since he owns the script.
Yeah so basically we have to say "This is a mod for Brandon Rusnak's adoptables script." But if WE create the modification, WE choose whether or not to share it or whatever. I'm sure it is possible, it would just take a very long time. XD
Old 10-01-2010, 11:42 AM
Administrator, Lead Coder

Credits: 331,422
Hall of Famer is on a distinguished road

Yeah, this is basically the truth. We own the addons, but not the base script, and we will have to specify that users must install the base script from Rusnak web in order for these addons to work. The only possibility here is that someone actually purchases Rusnak Adoptable script from Brandon, and I wonder how much this will cost.

@ Redheadturkey: I will consider this, the problem is that I do not want Brandon to borrow the idea to myadopts.com. I am sick of how Myadopts.com users enjoys more features on their sites and better services from Brandon than we premium users/donators.
Old 10-01-2010, 07:43 PM
Dev Staff

Credits: 32,765
fadillzzz is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Yeah, this is basically the truth. We own the addons, but not the base script, and we will have to specify that users must install the base script from Rusnak web in order for these addons to work. The only possibility here is that someone actually purchases Rusnak Adoptable script from Brandon, and I wonder how much this will cost.

@ Redheadturkey: I will consider this, the problem is that I do not want Brandon to borrow the idea to myadopts.com. I am sick of how Myadopts.com users enjoys more features on their sites and better services from Brandon than we premium users/donators.
Hey, I have a Pokemon theme web site, too! Can you send me your itemshop script? (If you don't mind of course... :) )
Old 10-02-2010, 02:41 AM
Art Director & Developer

Credits: 5,906
Teshia

Ok, so maybe a degree isn't necessary, but definitely some schooling.

As for copyright, I think that if we make it known that you must download the Rusnak script. Then state that the Rusnak base script is copyright Brandon and any mods are copyright their respective owners and that all ownership comments must remain within the script. A mention that code cannot be redistributed would be good (it must be received from the user who built it). I think then we'll have our bases covered on all sides with that.

As for MyAdopts not getting the code, I think that's a bit ridiculous and vindictive. If we're going to make free code then it should be available to everyone unless there's a known user that violates a rule. Brandon has just as much right to ask for code as anyone else.

I would like to offer the suggestion that any individual user building a mod has the right to distribute that mod as they please. So for your case, HoF, if you build a mod that you don't want Brandon to use, then go ahead and deny him. However, if another user builds something then they can use their own discretion about who they distribute to.

Edit: @HoF: I just re-read the context of that post. Yes, I agree that you have the right not to give out your code. I think essentially that was what I was saying, but my first read through made me think you wanted that to be applicable to every mod. XD Apologies.

@fadillzzz: Its not really about the subject of your site, but the manner in which the code is organised. Even though you both have pokemon sites it is unlikely that HoF's code will work for what you need.[hr]
Quote:
Originally Posted by redheadturkey
Quote:
I have an itemshop myself, but it is heavily modified to match the theme of my pokemon adoptable site. I may edit it a little bit and release to public as a general itemshop system, depends on how much time I have.

I know an itemshop of ANY kind is desperately needed for this script ... even a bare bones one would be wonderful.
I plan on building a script that makes items available like a regular adopt. They'll be in the same table as regular adopts, but they'll have an additional setting tacked on to them that will display different options when you view the adopt's profile. It will be a while until I can get around to it, but keep an eye on my thread in the mod forum.
Old 10-02-2010, 06:57 AM
Dev Staff

Credits: 32,765
fadillzzz is an unknown quantity at this point

@Teshia: well, I don't really care about that actually, cause I can always change it to suit my site
Old 10-03-2010, 07:00 PM

Credits: 24,056
alonaria is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Yahoo to alonaria

Teshia has some really great points and suggestions. I agree with her.

Old 10-12-2010, 03:04 PM

Credits: 24,056
alonaria is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Yahoo to alonaria

Come on guys. Dun let this thread and idea die! Post!

Old 10-12-2010, 03:44 PM

Credits: 10,677
BMR777 is on a distinguished road

Quote:

Hall of Famer, I wanted you and the rest of the community to know that I am currently considering either selling the Rusnak PHP Adoptables Script or making the script fully open source, so it could be freely modified. If I were to sell it rest assured that I would make sure that all who have purchased it from me would get Premium benefits from the new owner as well. I think it would be wrong to sell it and not have the new owner also accept existing premium members.

I am sorry about the lack of premium content here, however premium members still do get copyright removal rights, which many do take advantage of. :)
Old 10-12-2010, 07:50 PM
Premium Member

Credits: 32,180
Kaeliah will become famous soon enough
Send a message via AIM to Kaeliah Send a message via MSN to Kaeliah

Does that mean those of us who use the script now as it's free won't be able to anymore? x.x That would stink cause I've made mods for it and everything.