Mysidia Adoptables Support Forum  

Home Community Mys-Script Creative Off-Topic
Go Back   Mysidia Adoptables Support Forum > Off Topic Discussions > Webmasters Area

Notices

Old 12-05-2012, 04:10 AM
WebMaster

Credits: 10,089
powerchaos
Send a message via AIM to powerchaos Send a message via MSN to powerchaos
Talking server owners

Dear users

This question sounds maybe strange
but i am just wondering how many users got a vps/dedicated server and is able to manage them

webmaster got a differend explanation and it depends how you look at it

for me a webmaster is some one who got acces to a vps/dedicated and can manage there own apache/mysql (basicly server admin )

why do i look at that way ?? because apache/mysql is the core of running a website
if they go down and you can not get it up ? then what can you do with a wonderfull site if you can not see it online ?

also i wonder if most users use a free host or that they use a paid host

The reason why i ask it is because i like to have a idea on what systems this script runs or that there are other people like me

Greetings From PowerChaos
Old 12-05-2012, 05:55 AM
Administrator, Lead Coder

Credits: 329,046
Hall of Famer is on a distinguished road

Well Mysidia Adoptables is running on a dedicated server from Webhostingbuzz, it is managed so the host does the maintenance work for me.

Mysidia Adoptables, a free and ever-improving script for aspiring adoptables/pets site.
Old 12-05-2012, 03:15 PM
WebMaster

powerchaos

That is nice
it leaves a lot of time over to manage the website
personally i would choose to manage the server on my own , because the flexibility and the speed you got then (and definitely because you can install what you want )

but managed is also a good solution if you can spare the extra money and does not have enough knowledge/time to manage it yourself or want to make things easier

lets see what other script users use :D

Old 12-05-2012, 03:22 PM

Well I choose to have it managed by my host, since I personally do not have much experience running a server myself. If I end up breaking something, it may not be up for quite a long time. You know for this place if it goes down for a few days, everyone disappears.

And I was wondering though, what is a reseller account for Dedicated and VPS server? Is it pretty much you act like a hosting service provider on your own, and distribute memory/diskspace for whoever purchase your 'service'?

Mysidia Adoptables, a free and ever-improving script for aspiring adoptables/pets site.
Old 12-05-2012, 03:43 PM
WebMaster

powerchaos

Quote:
what is a reseller account for Dedicated and VPS server?
a reseller is some one who buys from me and then sells it to his clients with some profit

on that way the user does not need to have the servers , can get a discount and make easy profit
if there are problems then the reseller can contact his host and most of the time the host solves the problem or explains how to solve the problem (vps = host solves the problems as you got no acces to the vps servers, depending on vps system that is used , dedicated = host does solve the problem in some cases , depending on problem if he provide docu or that he fix it for you )

the client itself thinks it comes from the reseller , so the reseller does the first line support when the host does the second line support

in short
a reseller is some one who buys servers from a host and then claim it as his own and take the responsibility of that server to his clients

the only downside is , if there is a problem and the reseller can not solve it then it need to contact the host , the host then sends the reply back to the reseller so it can take longer to get a response as client

good part is , there is no skills for needed , no hardware for needed and no expensive costs for needed to sell dedicated/vps servers and you can make some money ( like 15% discounts on servers )

The reselling i am talking about is for webhosting that want to sell dedicated servers and does not have the knowledge or money to put there own servers in a datacenter (colocation)

the other reseller packages you see on the net are mainly cpanel reseller packages

Those things are shared accounts (mostly small webhosts or webhosts that does not know mutch what they do ) , you got a reseller account ( whm ) and you sell webhosting , so you share a part of your space to other users and that is also called reselling but it is a differend way of reselling
the big downside of those are that you got no control about it , that if there is a problem you can not fix it and that you are generaly oversold ( selling 20 accounts with no hd limit on a 20GB vps for example .. not the first time that that happends )

hopely you understand the difference and do you got the answer you was looking for :D

to give a other idea
http://dehost.org/vps.html
if you sell those against 15% cheaper then you are a vps reseller , they are on your name and you are responsible for them and you make profit as you can charge the same price or more to the clients and does not need the skills/money to setup/manage a node*
that is the purpose of reselling :D

*node = main server where the vps servers are on

Old 12-05-2012, 04:52 PM

I see, looks like its kinda different from what I thought. I've never hosted anything yet, wonder if I will ever do this at any point in my life. Its an interesting idea though, but I may just not be capable of doing this.

Old 12-21-2012, 02:18 PM

Credits: 48,657
Nemesis is on a distinguished road

A webmaster to me is anyone that manages a website even with a cpanel. Be it a free or paid host this webmaster is still in charge of the website through html, css, php, even if they didn't code any of it. They are still the admin the one in control of said site.

You have an interesting point on being able to keep the servers up but are they webmasters? they have nothing to do with the website. they probably don't even know what the site looks like. there job is to keep the server up so they are more of a engineer or tech. Still an administrator but I don't think they are the webmaster of that site. Does my way of seeing it make sense?
Old 12-21-2012, 02:42 PM
WebMaster

powerchaos

@nemesis

it is how you look at it

a server admin (tech for example ) does need to have knowledge how html and php works to be able to fix the problems that are happening (you can not fix something you do not know :D )

for example , if a website is showing a 500 error code ( server error) then it is mostly the server tech that get the question to fix it

if they only know how to manage apache then they say that everything is fine and they do not got a solution

on the other side , they got indeed nothing to do with the website itself (exept there own site ofcourse )
there only job is to keep it up and running , maybe webmaster is a wrong name
but with server admin i feel it even more wrong on my vieuw

when a tech staff is some one who has nothing related to the sites , but only with the backend and operational of the server (slow speed , lag , module installs ...)

the users who only manage there site like your vieuw is a "site admin"

the difference is in the skills , when a webmaster is able to solve problems is the site admin only able to change the site to there needs

so your vieuw does make sense , but i would give it a other name then webmaster :D

Greetinsg From PowerChaos

*edit*
taken from wikipedia :D
Quote:
Originally Posted by wikipedia
A webmaster (from web and master),[1] also called a web architect, web developer, site author, or website administrator, is a person responsible for maintaining one or many websites. The duties of the webmaster may include ensuring that the web servers, hardware and software are operating correctly, designing the website, generating and revising web pages, A/B testing, replying to user comments, and examining traffic through the site. As a general rule, professional webmasters "must also be well-versed in Web transaction software, payment-processing software, and security software."[2] Due to the RFC 822 requirement for establishing a "postmaster" email address for the single point of contact for the email administrator of a domain, the "webmaster" address and title were unofficially adopted by analogy for the website administrator.
Webmasters may be generalists with HTML expertise who manage most or all aspects of Web operations. Depending on the nature of the websites they manage, webmasters typically know scripting languages such as JavaScript, PHP and Perl. They may also be required to know how to configure web servers such as Apache HTTP Server (Apache) or Internet Information Services (IIS) and be a server administrator. Further, webmasters may also act as website designers on smaller-scale sites.[3]
An alternative definition of webmaster is a businessperson who uses online media to sell products and/or services. This broader definition of webmaster covers not only technical aspects of overseeing website construction and maintenance, but also managing website content, advertising, marketing, and order fulfillment.[4]
Core responsibilities of the webmaster may include the regulation and management of access rights of different users of a website, the appearance and setting up website navigation. Content placement can be part of a webmaster's numerous duties, though content creation may not be.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Webmaster

Last edited by powerchaos; 12-21-2012 at 02:44 PM.
Old 12-22-2012, 07:51 AM

It definitely will help if the server admin knows PHP though, the real question is how much you need to know. Tbh I aint quite sure of this, Powerchaos does not seem to possess good knowledge of OOP to me but he seems fine the way he is.