Mysidia Adoptables Support Forum  

Home Community Mys-Script Creative Off-Topic
Go Back   Mysidia Adoptables Support Forum > Community Board > Feedback and Suggestions

Notices

Old 12-13-2013, 02:36 PM

Credits: 48,702
Nemesis is on a distinguished road
Default Making an auto installer

I am trying to make an auto installer for the mysidia script.

It will work like myadopts. users can sign up and click one button and have a site set up and hosted.

This is a pretty big project and will probably need help.

If anyone is able to help please let me know.

Kinda looking at you HOF
Old 12-13-2013, 02:51 PM
Administrator, Lead Coder

Credits: 329,530
Hall of Famer is on a distinguished road

lol I know what you are talking about. Yes I believe an auto-installer can work out nicely, you mostly just have to figure out a pattern to insert data into the database. I am sure Myadopts is quite different as lots of data is shared between users, but for webhosting services you most likely have one database per user. Anyway lemme know what kind of help you need, I will see if theres something I can do(coding maybe).

Mysidia Adoptables, a free and ever-improving script for aspiring adoptables/pets site.
Old 12-13-2013, 05:37 PM

Credits: 66,889
AlexC is an unknown quantity at this point

I can help by making website layouts, organizing stuff or advertising the service - I'm going to be starting an advertising campaign for Mys soon too.
Old 12-13-2013, 05:46 PM
A Headache Embodied

Credits: 112,661
Abronsyth is on a distinguished road

I can help by doing layout concepts (too exhausted for coding lately), and come Christmas I should be able to get back on track for making digital "Starter Packs" (default/free items and pets for Mys sites), as I should be getting my new tablet (and new coloring software).

Plus I can help advertise a bit. Users are rather fond of hosts that limit the amount of coding knowledge required, should be an easy seller if it functions properly ;)
Old 12-13-2013, 06:14 PM

I am looking into how to have a server automate things.

So there will be linux commands (a script) run to make new directories. transfer in the latest version of mysidia, create a MySQL database, and create the subdomain. so exactly how myadopts worked.

I should be able to find out all the linux commands, but i will need to tie them into a php script where users can create accounts. I am aware that this is a security risk for the server since it will be running linux commands based on public user input. But I have taken security courses so I know these things.

I am glad you guys can help with the design because I was basically not going to have one. so that is now solved. :)

Anyone know of a good way to get multiple people collaborating on a project?
I know of google docs which lead me to find this, "its google docs for code"
https://c9.io/
Old 12-13-2013, 07:22 PM

Credits: 66,889
AlexC is an unknown quantity at this point

I don't know the best way to group on a project, but I just thought I'd quickly bring up two possibilities.

One - will the service be entirely free, or should we modify the script to allow for premium features?

Two - how will we manage people adding mods or themes? Is it possible to do a directory similar to wordpress's where you select what mods or themes you'd like to use from a central location? (It'll help against uploading bad code, security risks, site breaking, etc... And you could tie it into paid features? Offer paid mods or themes?)

(Mini three question - I'm assuming there will be a separate forum for support, user community, etc? I can help manage/run that if you need.)
Old 12-13-2013, 07:41 PM

1. Service will be free. Paid features would be cool but I don't no what to offer. However I can only offer free hosting at a reasonable amount. I don't mind spending 20$ a month on hosting but if it gets up to 100$ then there will need to be ads, donations or something.

2. While the site is one click install the user will still have access to the files so adding mods will be managed by them or someone willing to do it for them. Same goes for themes but I hope to add a theme swapping feature too.

3. We will need support/fun discussion boards. I am now thinking of just using forum software like mybb because it already handles resisted users. so the mysidia install script will be like a plugin or extension of the forum.
Old 12-22-2013, 03:02 PM

This will probably no longer happen as I will need a new server. Having spent 10+ hours on reading up on documentation I have concluded we would need a fresh dedicated server.

My current server is running Zpanel and already has a lot of mechanisms for creating users, domains, ftp accounts, SQL etc... and to build another script on top of that to do the same for mysidia sites will probably break something somewhere down the line.

Sorry but I no longer wish to be in charge of this project. However if there is one other linux admin out there and community support for 5$ a month for a new VPS then I would not mind helping on the project.

Some good news. I am learning android development. I plan on creating an app to interface with mysidia sites. so users can view pets, click, shop, etc... If anyone is interested in this let me know, but understand the app will need access to your SQL Database.
Old 12-22-2013, 04:27 PM
Administrator, Lead Coder

Credits: 329,530
Hall of Famer is on a distinguished road

umm why do you need a dedicated server? Is it an indicator that your hosting service is taking off?

Mysidia Adoptables, a free and ever-improving script for aspiring adoptables/pets site.
Old 12-23-2013, 08:55 AM

the auto installer for mysidia needs these things:

Domain binding - when a user creates a site either with a subdomain from us or their own domain our server needs to know what directory is associated with that domain.

Problem - Zpanel already reads/writes to that file when it creates domains for users. If my script edits/reads from it their could be lock ups and all domains could break. not to mention it is very confusing in there.

SQL database - the auto installer needs to make databases and users for each site.

Problem - We already have a good amount of users and databases. this script would add to it and with more access would slow things down. Also with two scripts accessing same resource something is bound to screw up.

Transfer Mysidia files to directory - Once all of the above is done the auto installer needs to download and install the mysidia script.

Problem - we are down to our last few GB so an upgrade will be necessary soon. But even sooner if people can create sites then never use them. Also again zpanel already sets up a default webpage and could be serious conflicts if not done right.

So basically Zpanel keeps getting in the way. so by dedicated server I mean a vps with nothing other than the mysidia auto installer on it. But I noknow longer want to undertake this whole project myself. Sorry but I miscalculated the complexity of building this auto installer into my current server build.