Mysidia Adoptables Support Forum  

Home Community Mys-Script Creative Off-Topic
Go Back   Mysidia Adoptables Support Forum > Off Topic Discussions > Webmasters Area

Notices

Old 12-27-2009, 03:13 AM
Dev Staff

Credits: 21,048
Arianna will become famous soon enough
Default Could anyone help me?

Beware - this is mostly a rant, but I'm also asking you for help on what yo'd do in this situation.
I'm having a problem with my site. It's not to do with the coding or anything like that, it's to do with another admin.
You see, our site was 'invented' on a partner site. The idea was started by this person, but I quickly became the second person in charge, and after hosting on MyAdopts for some time, we decided to change to hosting on my website.
Things are going nicely, I guess. I've done a lot of code edits, there are quite a few new features, and we've got over 100 users.
The problem is that the admin constantly refers to me as the 'helper', and sometimes not even as an admin. She's always adding new stuff to the site which messes up the layout, and though we're a writing site, she misspells frequently and capitalizes words that shouldn't be capitalized.
She's my friend, and I think that's the main problem. It would be way easier if I could be all businesslike with her, but I can't, as she's one of my good online friends.
After asking her if we were equal and if this could be reflected on the site, she told me this:
Quote:
I understand your point, you spend much more time on the site than I do, you've spent money on the site etc. and I couldn't be more thankful, for all that you've done really. :) It means so much that you spend your time and resorces on a project that otherwise I wouldn't be able to run. That being said I want to remind you that this is my project, that I do want to have some control over. If there's anyway to edit the news, so you can take away the helper, at least for now but I still want to be able to have more control, and I want you to still know that you have to check in with me. If you feel that's unfair, feel no obligation to make the changes we have been talking about or generously donate any more of your time. I hope you still want to work on the project, I value your friendship Ari, so this is hard for me.
The problem is that she's saying it's her project. I'm spending 20+ hours a week on it, and she classifies it as hers. She's... just, in a way, wrecking all of it. I have to check in with her? She makes whole layout-wrecking new links, changes the TOS page to an FAQ, and I'm not allowed to add a new features? :P I don't know, it just doesn't seem fair.
Right now, I'm seeing a few options.
First, I could just go along with all of this crap and continue helping on the site we're on, and on the main part of my domain make a new pets site. I could use all the code (after all, I did the edits) and ask users to join, but I wouldn't have the same fan-base. Or artists.
Second, I could try and convince her that we're equal. I'm... not so sure how that'll work out.
Third, I could get really, really, fed-up and just transfer all of the files and the database to 000host and tell her that she was totally in charge, even though she doesn't even know the slightest bit of PHP.
Options 1 and 3 seem like they would really, er, put my reputation down on the sister site, which I'm an active member of. I don't want to let this admin down, but at the same time, she's really letting me down, 'cause we're not equal anymore.
If I sounded like a female dog, forgive me, please. This site means a lot to me and I just don't know what to do.
What do you think I should do? Any suggestions are welcome.
Thanks,
Arianna
Old 02-27-2010, 02:31 AM
Administrator, Lead Coder

Credits: 327,500
Hall of Famer is on a distinguished road
Default RE: Could anyone help me?

Seems that you've resolved this problem? If so, good job.

I visited your site before, and I seriously believe that it is not big enough for politics like this to occur at all. For now the two of you need each other, which is plain and simple. It shouldnt be hard for you to convince the site admin if you make her see this point.