Mysidia Adoptables Support Forum  

Home Community Mys-Script Creative Off-Topic
Go Back   Mysidia Adoptables Support Forum > Off Topic Discussions > Other Chat

Notices

Old 02-26-2008, 06:58 PM

Credits: 1,729
keios
Default I'm Bored

......... lol, I think i wanna write a multi forum script. Any tips on what i need to know BMR?
Old 02-27-2008, 04:46 PM

Credits: 1,325
kab012345
Send a message via AIM to kab012345 Send a message via MSN to kab012345 Send a message via Yahoo to kab012345
Default RE: I'm Bored

Here are some references he sent me in a PM when I asked --
You may know about some of them like I did. ;)
Old 02-27-2008, 05:15 PM

Credits: 10,549
BMR777 is on a distinguished road

Yeah, the scripts kab012345 referenced are how I was able to write the MyBB Multiforums Script. Take a look at their code if you need pointers. You can also take a look at my script as I have commented it pretty well so you can see how I did things.

Keios, do you know any PHP? What forum software would you write the script for?

It would be great to have another multiforums script, the more the merrier.

BMR777
Old 02-27-2008, 05:20 PM

keios

Ah i know a bit of PHP but im mainly Javascript well i know HTML but i'm pretty sure everyone knows that.

I have looked at those scripts but they are really sloppy (To me at least) I may have a peak into your code.

If i were to write a multi forum script i would probably write it for a lesser known forum software like Electron Forum http://www.anelectron.com
Old 02-27-2008, 05:27 PM

Maybe you and kab should write one for AEF together, I know he wanted to write one for AEF. I took a look at the AEF code and it was unlike other forum scripts I have seen before, it didn't seem to have a central config.php or anything like that. Some forum softwares are easier to write multiforum scripts for than others. Like MyBB was a piece of cake because everything as far as settings is kept in the database, other forum softwares are harder like AEF because they keep the settings in one file so each forum needs a separate settings file to work properly.

Don't let that get you down though. The MyBB Multiforums Script is my first and only PHP program. :)

BMR777
Old 02-27-2008, 05:30 PM

keios

That sounds like a plan if Kab would be interested. If we can't figure out AEF then we could alway find another :D.

Then if we did do that we could start a forum hosting site and SMASH webringamerica lol j/k

I already have a domain for a forum hosting site 0.o
Old 02-27-2008, 05:35 PM

Keios, is this your site: http://phpbb4free.co.cc/

It looks good, now you just have to get some hits on there. I see that you're using MFH for the PHPBB3, but it looks like you modified it?

Also, I would recommend that you don't have your support forums on the same section as the hosted forums. On WebringAmerica I have the support forums on a separate server so if the forums go down the main website and support is up still. This has actually come in handy quite a few times, especially with the server issues I had last month.

BMR777
Old 02-27-2008, 05:42 PM

keios

Ah that, well i made the site but it was more out of boredom than anything, the new domain i just got was forums4free.info (I'm cheep i know) But i did modify it a little i just striped it down and put it in with my own design then iframed the signup page :D.

Yea i think i read something about that on Mihislem forums. Your advice on defending from hacks, Really good tips lol.

Don't get me wrong i like Mihislem script EXCEPT for the no banner thing....Actually i think i seen a mod somewhere to allow you to let your members use a banner but it hast to be hosted somewhere else.
Old 02-27-2008, 05:51 PM

How much did you pay for the .info domain? I get all of my .com domains for $6 and I buy a new one whenever I roll out a new server or something drastically different. I even have a few domains that just sit around doing nothing, projects I started but never finished.

Yeah, those were my tips. :) When you've been hosting forums as long as I have you learn a few things.

If you write a simple file upload script for MFH you could allow members to upload files to the theme directory for their images, then select them from the ACP.

BMR777
Old 02-27-2008, 05:56 PM

keios

the .info was 2 dollars a year, I also have a few domains laying around which i think i bought on impulse 0.o one i bought for my Game creation site rm-sanctum.com and no idea why i bought the other rm-sanctum.net lol

That would be something handy. Do you offer anything like that on your phpbb3 host?