Mysidia Adoptables Support Forum  

Home Community Mys-Script Creative Off-Topic
Go Back   Mysidia Adoptables Support Forum > Off Topic Discussions > Other Chat

Notices

Old 10-20-2011, 11:43 PM
Administrator, Lead Coder

Credits: 327,405
Hall of Famer is on a distinguished road

Well now that this is getting a bit interesting. Since BMR said he'd be curious to see how much price the site would fetch, there is a chance that he's just doing a test to figure out the worth of myadopts.com. Since BMR is charging a high price for MA, I'd be rather curious to see who will come out as the winner.

I personally think Nemesis would keep the current staff team if he wins the bid, but thats just my assumption.

Mysidia Adoptables, a free and ever-improving script for aspiring adoptables/pets site.
Old 10-21-2011, 12:22 AM

Credits: 48,347
Nemesis is on a distinguished road

Well I'm glad the site is up and feel bad for the accusations but it was bad timing and I had never seen the service down before, I do play around the site.

And as for it's price he is wanting way to much, a few thousand for a site that will be expensive server wise (bogging script) and has decent amount of traffic however it is a very low age group so is actually low ranking; and the traffic is tanking with a severe downward trend. I can only imagine the issues with what people try and upload to the site copyrights and anything else you could possibly find on the net.

Final thoughts:
"I personally think Nemesis would keep the current staff team if he wins the bid, but thats just my assumption. " HOF is right that would be the best course of action and what I'd do. However being in college and busy myself there is no way I would pay such a price on a risky investment, his price is placed based on the fact that people are dedicated to adopts sites and may fight for it. But from a business perspective it would be a loss and I actually doubt I will be a bidder.

Only scenario I see (that would get me involved) is he can't find a seller (no one with same dedication as him) and I would say his best course of action would be to give it to someone he trusts, (HOF) and his best bet would be to let the community care for it on a lease/rent and he could still collect his adsense till he gets his desired amount. That is the only way I see myself running that site is if its free till its debt is paid. Or run on community donations, but again unlikely due to the young age group.

Last edited by Nemesis; 10-21-2011 at 12:25 AM.
Old 10-21-2011, 12:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nemesis View Post
Final thoughts:
"I personally think Nemesis would keep the current staff team if he wins the bid, but thats just my assumption. " HOF is right that would be the best course of action and what I'd do. However being in college and busy myself there is no way I would pay such a price on a risky investment, his price is placed based on the fact that people are dedicated to adopts sites and may fight for it. But from a business perspective it would be a loss and I actually doubt I will be a bidder.

Only scenario I see (that would get me involved) is he can't find a seller (no one with same dedication as him) and I would say his best course of action would be to give it to someone he trusts, (HOF) and his best bet would be to let the community care for it on a lease/rent and he could still collect his adsense till he gets his desired amount. That is the only way I see myself running that site is if its free till its debt is paid. Or run on community donations, but again unlikely due to the young age group.
I see, this makes perfect sense to me. A rational investor like Nemesis will recognize this as too risky a decision to make. This is however, under the assumption that all bidders are rational. There may be people who will be bidding for BMR and drive up the price even higher, should be interesting to see.

I wonder if he will choose the path of leasing/renting MA though, but thats actually not really a bad choice unless he wants instant payment(not gonna happen anyway, considering no one is gonna make an one-time $3000 payment without at least one or two times of bargaining).

And again, whoever receives MA, the best choice is apparently to leave the community management to their current staff team. Cant say they are perfect, but they have been rather experienced and know what they are doing. Owners messing up with management can potentially drive the community to a dead end, true businessmen know this very well.

Mysidia Adoptables, a free and ever-improving script for aspiring adoptables/pets site.
Old 10-21-2011, 08:48 PM

Credits: 2,490
Pyrkagias is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nemesis View Post
Or run on community donations, but again unlikely due to the young age group.
You could be suprised... Some of our members are actually older than you think and they already wanted to donate, but BMR never accepted...

Last edited by Pyrkagias; 10-21-2011 at 08:59 PM.
Old 10-23-2011, 09:12 AM

Credits: 10,550
BMR777 is on a distinguished road

Hello all,

Let me clear a few things up. :)

First off, the site will continue to run as normal. It was only down due to a server issue, which we have every so often. I would have moved the server a long time ago, however it's more of a technical limitation thing than a money thing, as we could afford to move to a better server, it's just it would probably take a few days in a row to accomplish this task, with the moving of the database and the transferring of the domain name to the new server. Unfortunately I haven't had a few free days in a long time to babysit the site transfer process. I am currently overpaying for my current server because it is fully managed, meaning I have better support, but if you know what you're doing you can save by getting a self-managed server at prob half the cost.

Also, I'm not dead set on selling and it would be sad to see the site go. That said, I do realize that I don't have enough time for the site anymore since I am working 40 hours a week. I would ideally love to sell the site to someone who wishes to improve the site and continue what I started. I don't think it's right to give it away, though, since it does make money through the ad revenue. The site last year made over $3,000 and I anticipate it could make more than that in a year IF someone has the time to get the server issue worked out and do some new coding for the site. Unfortunately I don't have this time anymore, so I've unfortunately been doing the minimum to keep the site online. That's why I haven't added a new feature in months, time, although I would love to add more if I wasn't working.

My price for the site is not set in stone, but I would still like to get something for the site as it is a decent money maker once the server is upgraded. It has consistently brought in more than enough to pay for server costs and it has been nice to have an extra hundred or two dollars every month from the ads.

If you have any questions just let me know. :)
BMR777
Old 10-25-2011, 02:17 AM

umm this is interesting. How much are you paying for the hosting service? Assume you are currently breaking even, it generates a revenue of $3000 a year, this accounts for a $250/month dedicated hosting service? But I thought a dedicated server at $250/month should be able to more than sufficient to handle a site like MA? Just curious.

At this moment I'd recommend you to consider what Nemesis said in his last paragraph - Leasing. This way you will not be paying for the hosting package, while still able to collect revenue at about $250-$300 a month. This process may last for about a year(or half a year if the new owner finds ways to make it $500-$600 a month?) until you have received exactly what you wanted earlier - $3000. One important reason to consider this is that it is hard to make potential buyers believe that MA will be a good investment under current conditions. One time $3000 payment is apparently too risky a price to pay for most of them. Not saying you will definitely not be able to sell it, but chances are you will have to wait for months or more than a year to get a satisfactory offer.

There is one thing I do not quite understand though. Some members from MA said that you would not accept donations from them, while I also heard from Kaeliah before that you would not hire programmers from MA to code for yourself. Is there a good reason for this? But if so, why are you selling MA right now in order to find someone who will do some new coding for the site?

Old 10-25-2011, 06:43 AM
bruh

Credits: 35,651
ChibiMaestro is on a distinguished road

Wai what?
... I should have really read this thread... how could I miss it?

If Brandon decides to sell MA to someone else, I just hope he makes sure the new owner will do a good job of keeping MA online and adding features often.

I don't want MA to die if he sells it to the wrong person >.<

And...
Quote:
There is one thing I do not quite understand though. Some members from MA said that you would not accept donations from them, while I also heard from Kaeliah before that you would not hire programmers from MA to code for yourself. Is there a good reason for this? But if so, why are you selling MA right now in order to find someone who will do some new coding for the site?
Well, I believe Brandon does accept donations, but because there isn't an easy automatic way, many people are put off. And the only way to donate is by PMing Brandon and discussing it. However, Brandon isn't on very often, so it's hard to get a hold of him.
And also, Kae did offer her help to him, however Brandon did say no because there was a security risk.... but I do wonder why he couldn't have just reviewed what Kae would code, maybe modify it and implement it?

Anyway, I just don't want MA to be sold and someone, possibly I don't know run MA. If Nemesis wins the bid and purchases MA, I'd be okay with it since he does seem like a great person, but I want him to keep MA going and take it seriously and update it often... :3

I just don't want someone totally new and someone I have no idea who they are, and never seen before take over >.<

~C.Maestro
I'd like to think I'm good at CSS&HTML, so if you need help with designing templates and stuff, feel free to 'come at me bro' with the questions. Haha, also if you need help with installing the Mysidia Adoptables Script, please check out my guide here!
Old 10-25-2011, 11:59 AM

I see, that does make sense to me if BMR is either too busy or worried about security issues.

Well it seems that Nemesis will not be bidding for MA at $3000, so chances are MA's new owner is completely unfamiliar to you if BMR manages to sell it. Possibly a businessman, but I dunno.

Old 10-25-2011, 06:48 PM

Credits: 10,550
BMR777 is on a distinguished road

Well, the server actually is only $90 a month, not $250. Even then, I pay too much because I have a fully managed server.

I don't accept donations because the site is breaking even. Since the site has mostly a younger audience I would feel bad taking their money when the site is making a profit as I would then essentially be putting donated money in my pocket. Only if the site ever began to run at a loss would I accept donations.

I'm NOT set on selling MyAdopts, but if the RIGHT person came along who wanted to continue the site in the same manner I would run it in if I had more time I would consider a sale. The $3000 is not a firm price, but rather a starting figure by which I can gauge MyAdopts' value.
Old 10-25-2011, 07:43 PM

I see, so you are actually using a VPS hosting package for MA at this moment? If so, I am not surprised that MA's server goes down regularly. I've set up a new VPS server that I plan to move all my sites to before the end of 2011, it costs $97 a month. I'd have upgraded to $125/month dedicated hosting service if cpanel license does not cost $30 a month though. I thought MA had a much more powerful server than mine, it seems that it is not.

But now I am a little bit confused. MA is generating a revenue of $3000 last year, that makes $250 a month? If so, you are earning profit at $160 a month(revenue is much higher than cost), and this is definitely not just breaking even. Correct me if my computation is wrong, but I dont think so? It does not explain your incentive to sell MA if it earns profit at $160 per month either. It is up for you to decide whether to accept Donation though, I was just wondering.

Well alright, I do understand that you are neither determined to sell MA nor set the price in stone. Have you discussed with Nemesis further after you told him that you were charging $3000 for MA? Just curious.